Journalist, Peter Beinart, recently wrote that his “…mission is to launch a conversation not just about the Israeli-Palestinian conflict… but about the struggle to confront the ethical responsibilities of a world in which Jewish fortunes have radically changed.” Beinart, an esteemed Yale graduate raises his children on the posh Upper East Side of Manhattan, but now, following the massacre in Toulouse, one wonders if the Jews in Europe are concerned over his “…question of what it means to live an ethical Jewish life in an age of Jewish power.”
Mr. Beinart, and all of the wonderful Jews of J Street, must feel overwhelmed with joy over recent comments on Israel from these liberal ‘friends’:
- Ken Livingstone, the former mayor of London who is running for mayor once again, has been a persistent enemy of Israel and the Jews – he has stated on a number of occasions that it would be better off if Israel did not exist. According to David Hirsh, “Livingstone sees Israel as a pariah state with a menacing and malign influence well beyond its borders.” Just this week, Jewish community leaders said that Livingstone used anti-Semitic language in a meeting with them. According to a letter written about the meeting, Livingstone suggested that the Jewish community would not vote for him because “the Jewish community is rich.” The group also said that Livingstone had used the words Zionist, Jewish and Israeli interchangeably and “in a pejorative manner.” Of course it’s nothing new for Livingstone who…..
- Has vowed to “turn London into a ‘beacon’ for the words of the Prophet Mohammed.”
- Embraced Yusuf al-Qaradawi, a high-profile member of the Muslim Brotherhood and avowed anti-Semite, who in July 2003 spoke in favor of suicide terror attacks.
- Said the Likud party and Hamas are “two sides of the same coin.”
- Has called for the forcible disarmament of Israel, and said that Israel’s expansion has included ethnic cleansing, and that Jews had no right to be in Israel.
Mr. Beinart, do you really believe that if the world boycotts “the settlements” as you advocate, then all will be dandy in Israel, Jews won’t be killed in France, and Mr. Livingstone will love us? Absurd.
- EU Chief Diplomat Catherine Ashton equated the murder of Jews in Toulouse, France, with the deaths of children in the Gaza Strip. Speaking at a conference on Palestinian refugees on Monday in Brussels, Ashton cited the tragedy of “young people who have been killed in all sorts of terrible circumstances.”
- Jenny Tonge, the Liberal Democratic Member of Parliament in the UK, and party whip, resigned from the Liberal Democrat Party after refusing to apologize for saying: “Beware Israel. Israel is not going to be there forever in its present form. One day, the United States of America will get sick of giving £70bn a year to Israel to support what I call America’s aircraft carrier in the Middle East – that is Israel. One day, the American people are going to say to the Israel lobby in the USA: ‘Enough is enough.’ Israel will lose support and then they will reap what they have sown.”
Amazingly, in London, Paris, and the halls of the European Union one doesn’t hear about Peter Beinart or J Street – nor are they active anywhere in the Arab Middle East. If they are so proud to be Jewish they should don their proud kippot and build their movement in these countries – let’s see how long they last. In fact, my PR firm would be happy to announce their arrival in any Arab country to the media, as long as they don their religion outwardly. I’ll even pay for Beinart’s airfare to any of the countries opposed to Israel’s existence, with whom he thinks Israel should negotiate.
Perhaps these awful liberals like Beinart (who did his post-grad in Oxford, and was born in the liberal Ivy League town of Cambridge, Massachusetts) are in fact ideologically in line with Livingstone, Ashton and Tonge?
I hope while they continue their “struggle to confront the ethical responsibilities of a world in which Jewish fortunes have radically changed” they realize the error of their ways and pray for forgiveness. Jew-hatred is still prevalent and people like Beinart and J Street do nothing other than give solace to the enemy.