Mainstream left-wing anti-Semites do not typically and explicitly accuse Jews of engaging in global conspiracies.
They do not typically and explicitly advance the narrative of the duplicitous money-grubbing Jew.
They do not advance the ancient anti-Semitic blood libel.
And they typically do not warn their readers of the injurious effects of Jewish power on society.
Nor do they deny the Holocaust.
However, the most egregious anti-Semitic sin of far left broadsheets, such as the Guardian newspaper, is their legitimization – even praise – for anti-Semites who do advance such racist calumnies about the Jewish people.
The Guardian’s recent editorial in praise of Alexander Cockburn (In praise of the Cockburns, July 23rd) represents a perfect example.
In the editorial, the Cockburns (Alexander and his father and brother) are characterized as “…aristocratic radicals” who “have been pillars of progressive journalism for decades.” Here’s the editorial in its entirety.
“When distinguished sons and daughters follow distinguished parents it is easy to mutter about charmed circles. Yet there are genuine family talents that span the generations. The Huxleys and Freuds are examples, and the death of Alexander Cockburn is a reminder that the Cockburns are another. These radical aristocrats – or aristocratic radicals – have been pillars of progressive journalism for decades. Claud Cockburn, although not without some blind spots, battered at received wisdom in the 1930s. His sons, Alexander and Andrew, continued the tradition in the United States, Alexander indicating that continuity by calling one of his columns Beat the Devil, from the title of his father’s novel. Here, Patrick Cockburn has been for years one of the best Middle East reporters and analysts. Alexander’s writing has been praised as the key to “a life of joyful and creative resistance” – a fine phrase that could well be applied to them all.” [emphasis added]
To be begin with, Claud Cockburn joined the Communist Party and “worked closely with the Soviet agents who orchestrated both acts of violence against the anti-Stalinist left and the propaganda which whitewashed those acts.” He could easily be characterized as an “intellectual hatchet man for Stalin”. (Note that in 1936, Harry Pollitt, then General Secretary of the Communist Party of Great Britain, asked Cockburn to cover the Spanish Civil War. “Harry Pollitt” would later become the nom de guerre of Seumas Milne – prior to joining the Guardian – in his days working for the pro-Stalinist paper, Straight Left.)
Regarding Alexander Cockburn’s site, that paragon of progressive thought known as CounterPunch:
- Counterpunch has repeatedly run articles by prolific anti-Semite, Gilad Atzmon. Briefly, Atzmon has questioned whether the Holocaust occurred, while simultaneously arguing that, if Hitler’s genocide did occur, it can partly be explained by Jews’ villainous behavior. Atzmon also explicitly charged that Jews are indeed trying to take over the world, and has endorsed the Protocols of the Elders of Zion, arguing about the document that “it is impossible to ignore its prophetic qualities and its capacity to describe” later Jewish behavior.
- Counterpunch published an article by Alison Weir which alleges that the blood libel, (the charge that Jews ritually murdered gentiles), is true and is related to the false reports, in 2009, regarding Israeli thefts of human organs from Palestinians.
- CounterPunch’s Alexander Cockburn has advanced the argument that Jews have a stranglehold on the U.S. media.
- CounterPunch has published bizarre conspiracy theories, such as one piece written by Paul Craig Roberts about the Iranian protests in 2009, with the title “Are the Iranian protests another American orchestrated ‘Color Revolution‘?”
- CounterPunch has advanced dual loyalty canards about Jews, and xenophobic narratives about how Washington is “occupied” by Israel
- Counterpunch also has often welcomed Eric Walburg, a neo Nazi, to publish at their site. Walburg is also a Holocaust denier who, on the pages of CounterPunch, engaged in pro-Taliban propaganda.
- CounterPunch published a rant by Jennifer Loewenstein, about a “Gazan Holocaust”, which included a passage referring to Israelis as “Neo-Jewish Masters” who used the Gaza war as a “pretext to carry out mass murder of the Arab Untermenschen.”
As Adam Holland observed, specifically regarding the Alison Weir blood libel charge, but also serving as relevant understanding of the ideology of CounterPunch and Cockburn:
“It is outrageous that they would present the anti-Semitism of the middle ages as progressive…portraying [Jews] as intrinsically reactionary and criminal. In doing this, Counterpunch has turned the definitions of “progressive” and “reactionary” on their heads.”
I can’t think of a better characterization of the Guardian: an institution which continually turns definitions of “progressive” and “reactionary” upside down.
Finally, at times I’m asked why precisely I charge the Guardian with promoting anti-Semitism. I’m similarly challenged by well-meaning commentators who suggest that I may, at times, overstate the case regarding the institution’s “Judeophobic” sympathies.
Well, if you are among such critics, the Guardian’s characterization of CounterPunch – whose unapologetic vilification of Jews is simply part of their ideological DNA – as “progressive” should serve as a poignant illustration of the Guardian Group’s Jewish problem and, indeed, a vindication of those who work to combat such bigotry.