Thursday, October 27th | 25 Tishri 5777


Be in the know!

Get our exclusive daily news briefing.

January 18, 2013 9:15 am

Bulgaria Denies Report it Linked Hezbollah to Burgas Terror Attack

avatar by

Email a copy of "Bulgaria Denies Report it Linked Hezbollah to Burgas Terror Attack" to a friend

The Bulgaria bomber captured on video. Photo: Screenshot.

The Bulgarian government and media have denied any Hezbollah link to the terrorist attack against Israeli tourists at the Black Sea resort of Burgas last summer which had killed five Israelis and one Bulgarian.

In a report on Israel’s Channel 2 that was broadcast on January 17th, an investigation found that Hezbollah was involved in the attack.

However, the Bulgarian Foreign Ministry denied the Israeli TV report linking Hezbollah to the Burgas attack. Additionally, a report in the Bulgarian media said that there is no evidence of Hezbollah’s involvement. It also added that the suspected bomber had ties to al-Qaeda, the Jerusalem Post reported.

Related coverage

October 26, 2016 5:33 pm

UNESCO Slammed for Another ‘Ridiculous’ Jerusalem Resolution, But Some Also Note Diplomatic Progress

Israeli politicians and American Jewish groups once again condemned UNESCO on Wednesday after the global cultural body’s World Heritage Committee...

Earlier in the week, Bulgarian Foreign Minister Nikolai Mladenov visited Israel to brief Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and President Shimon Peres on the investigation. However, officials have remained quiet on the details of the briefing.

Bulgaria has said that the bombing was perpetrated by outsiders, but has yet to publish the full findings of its investigation. Israeli and American officials suspect Hezbollah’s involvement in the attack. The two countries have also been lobbying the EU to designate Hezbollah as a terrorist organization and impose sanctions on the group.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner