A day after Syrian officials admitted a strike had been carried out on a military facility, pointing the finger at Israel as the perpetrators, Lebanese newspaper Addiyar Daily is reporting that the militaries in Lebanon, Syria and Jordan have gone on high alert.
According to the paper, thought to be a pro-Syrian publication, Syrian army units have deployed in guerrilla-size formations in the Golan Heights. In Lebanon the High Command of the Armed Forces has ordered a “level 3″ alert for all its forces. And in Jordan armored units have reportedly been placed near the border with Israel, near the River Jordan.
Western officials told the New York Times Wednesday that a strike had been carried out on a convoy carrying sophisticated antiaircraft weaponry intended for the Hezbollah Shiite terror militia in Lebanon. The American officials said Israel had notified the United States about the attack beforehand.
On Wednesday Syria confirmed the attack took place but said that the target struck was a scientific research facility. But a Western official told the Wall Street Journal that the two reports might not be mutually exclusive.
Fears that Syrian weapons could fall into the hands of Hezbollah have heightened considerably in the last several days. Reports have even surfaced that Hezbollah has already obtained some chemical weapons.
On Tuesday IAF Chief Amir Eshel told an audience that Israel must become more proactive in addressing threats in the region. “We cannot wait for war to break out. We have to invest in developing new (surveillance) resources… especially space, which has become a strategic sphere for us. We can’t wake up when war breaks out – we can’t be ill-prepared,” he said.