Iran, Sponsor of Global Terrorism, Holds Conference for Terror Victims
Iran, which has been accused by the U.S., the UK, Argentina, Israel, the International Court of Justice, in the Hague, and other governments and international institutions of sponsoring terror, terrorists and terror networks, held a conference over the weekend to honor victims of terrorism.
The event, in Tehran, called “The First National Congress of 17000 Iranian Terror Victims” and nominally sponsored by the Habilian Association, aimed to bring together the families of 17,000 Iranians who died at the hands of terrorists.
In a statement on their website, the organizers said: “In this day and age, terrorism is not restricted to certain nation or a group of nations, but it threatens the human being and seriously affects various aspects of societies. During the past three decades since the 1979 Islamic Revolution, Iran’s streets witnessed tragic scenes of the most gruesome and heinous acts of terror against the non-combatants, and the world witnessed the silence of international human rights organizations and world media over the deadly attacks and brutal killing of more than 17000 innocent civilians.”
The organizers attributed 12,000 of the 17,000 person death toll to the Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization, MKO, also known as MEK and NCRI, which it said was responsible for major attacks against the regime, beginning in the early 1980s, shortly after the Iranian Revolution, when the Ayotallahs took power, in 1979.
Among their acts of terror, the group included the June 28, 1981, attack on the headquarters of the Islamic Republic Party and the explosion at Prime Minister Bahonar’s office on August 30, 1981, described as “Iran’s worst-ever terrorist attack, which claimed the lives of Mohammad Husseini Beheshti who headed Iran’s Judiciary at the time and over 70 leading officials of Islamic Revolution of Iran. The Eighth of Shahrivar on the Persian calendar marks the day of Fighting Terrorism in Iran and the anniversary of the martyrdom of former Iranian president, Mohammad Ali Rajaei, and his prime minister, Mohammasd Javad Bahonar, who were killed after an explosion ripped through the Premier Bahonar’s office in Tehran.”
The organizers wrote: “All these motivate us to step up efforts to fight and deal with the phenomenon known as terrorism. We hope that the First National Congress of 17000 Iranian Terror Victims contributes in a significant way to the fight against terrorism.”
While domestic acts of terror against the Iranian regime have taken many lives, the organizers of the conference made no mention of the deaths from terror made in the name of the regime internationally, where Iran has been accused of being the world’s largest sponsor of terror: “Take for example the Lebanese organization, Hezbollah, created by Iran in the early 1980’s,” wrote Bob Feferman, Outreach Coordinator for the non-partisan advocacy group, United Against Nuclear Iran (UANI), in an Op-Ed last week published by The Algemeiner.
“Even the short list of Hezbollah acts of terror is stunning. Hezbollah carried out the 1994 attack on the Jewish community center in Buenos Aires, assassinated former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri in 2005, and fired 4,000 Iranian rockets into northern Israel in the summer of 2006” Feferman wrote.
“In July 2012, Hezbollah operatives attacked a bus filled with Israeli tourists in Bulgaria, killing six people. Recently, we have seen Hezbollah fighters, together with Iran, provide massive support for the regime of Bashar al-Assad in Syria, which has slaughtered more than 100,000 civilians while an indifferent world watches in silence.”
One of the event organizers offered to answer The Algemeiner’s questions via email, but the responses had not arrived by press time.