Catholic Bishop: Egyptian Christians Support El-Sisi Presidential Candidacy
Error: Contact form not found.
by JNS.org

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry reviews his notes before a meeting with Egyptian Minister of Defense General Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi (right) in Cairo, Egypt, on November 3, 2013. Photo: State Department.
JNS.org – A prominent Egyptian Catholic leader believes that Field Marshal General Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi’s expected candidacy for Egyptian president is a positive development for Egypt’s Christians.
An El-Sisi candidacy “is an important fact for the whole country, not just for Christians,” Coptic Catholic leader Boutros Fahim Awad Hanna, Bishop of Minya, told the Fides News Agency.
“In the last year El-Sisi has had a key role in Egypt. His choices have been appreciated by most of the people. The growing consensus that surrounds him is also seen in the streets,” Hanna said.
Last week, Coptic Pope Tawadros II and a delegation of Coptic bishops also visited with El-Sisi to congratulate him on his promotion to field marshal, and said they support the Egyptian military’s fight against terrorism.
Despite El-Sisi being the overwhelming favorite to win the presidential election, Hanna added that he believes it is important that there be other candidates to compete with him, and that the Church must allow voters to make them own choice for president.
“One should refrain from addressing the faithful towards one or the other candidate. Every believer will choose in freedom and according to their conscience, based on the program that is most convincing. We bishops should keep a reserved attitude,” Hanna said.
El-Sisi on Thursday told Kuwait’s Al-Seyassah newspaper that he is running for president, but the Egyptian army denied the Kuwaiti report.
Iran’s Top Negotiator Says Tehran Will Not Compromise in Talks with US
Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal, Media Interviews Show
Report: US Sidelined Israel From Iran Talks
Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir Banned From French Territory
US and Iran Report Progress on Talks Ending War
Gabbard Resigns as Trump’s Top US Intelligence Official
Iran’s Intensified Closure of Strait of Hormuz Piles Misery on Stranded Sailors
US House Republicans Cancel Iran War Powers Vote
Report: Qatari Negotiating Team in Iran to Help Secure Deal to End War
Freed Gaza Flotilla Activists Allege Israeli Abuse Including Rape





Israeli Minister Ben-Gvir Banned From French Territory
US and Iran Report Progress on Talks Ending War
Report: US Sidelined Israel From Iran Talks
Iran’s Top Negotiator Says Tehran Will Not Compromise in Talks with US
Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal, Media Interviews Show



