Hamas’ Ismail Haniyeh Claims Israel Won’t Launch Another War in Gaza
One of Hamas’ senior leaders and the deputy chief of the organization’s political bureau, Ismail Haniyeh, claimed on Saturday that Israel has indicated that it won’t launch another war in the Gaza Strip, Israel’s NRG reported.
During a speech at the Al-Shahada Mosque in the Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza, Haniyeh said, “there was a certain authority behind the decision to launch a war last year,” referring to last summer’s Operation Protective Edge. Haniyeh continued, “this authority has decided against launching another war.”
Haniyeh encouraged the movement’s faithful, insisting that Hamas came out on top in the 50-day conflict with Israel. He promised additional and greater victories in the future.
He said, “last Ramadan planted the seeds that are blooming during the current Ramadan. Liberation is close. The next step will bring plenty to the families of Gaza.”
Haniyeh also addressed relations between Hamas and Egypt and their recent rapprochement, which he said was demonstrated by Egypt’s opening of the Rafah crossing into Sinai over the last several weeks.
He said that this breakthrough in relations has led to an improvement in Gaza’s humanitarian situation.
Haniyeh also denied his movement’s involvement in last week’s attacks by the ISIS-affiliated Sinai Province against Egyptian forces stationed in northern Sinai.