Boasting About Seizure of US Sailors, Iranian Naval Commander Says He Was Prepared to Sink All American Warships in Persian Gulf
Iran’s top-ranking naval officer said his forces were prepared last week to sink all US warships in the Persian Gulf, Iran’s semi-official Fars News Agency reported on Sunday.
Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi, the commander of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy, made this assertion during a meeting of Iranian media managers in Tehran on Saturday evening, in reference to the seizure of 10 US sailors last Tuesday.
According to the report, Fadavi claimed, as well, that the IRGC Navy had detained US sailors on a previous occasion, but had preferred to keep the incident a secret at the time.
He also threatened that in any potential future confrontation with Iranian naval forces, “The US and its Navy should rest assured that they won’t win, and their warships will be sunk and destroyed.”