Tuesday, October 17th | 27 Tishri 5778

Close

Be in the know!

Get our exclusive daily news briefing.

Subscribe
August 6, 2012 9:15 am

IDF Launches Investigation Over Second Armored Vehicle Used by Terrorists (VIDEO)

avatar by Algemeiner Staff

Email a copy of "IDF Launches Investigation Over Second Armored Vehicle Used by Terrorists (VIDEO)" to a friend

Kerem Shalom crossing. Photo: IDF.

Less than twenty four hours after terrorists killed 15 Egyptian soldiers and then continued on their way into Israel with the intention of committing mass murder, just across the Kerem Shalom Crossing, the IDF is in the midst of an investigation into how one of the vehicles used by the terrorists was able to travel nearly 2 km before it was destroyed.

The first of two armored vehicles exploded as it tried to enter Israel at the Kerem Shalom crossing – shared by Egypt, Israel, and the Gaza Strip – while the second one was engaged by Israel ground and air forces.  After being struck by the IAF, a firefight ensued between the terrorists who tried to flee – all of whom were killed – and the IDF.

“A large disaster was averted,” IDF Chief of Staff Benny Gantz said, while praising the collaborative efforts of intelligence units, the air force, and ground forces.  However, the IDF is still concerned that the second armored vehicle – on its way to the Kerem Shalom development, close to the Gaza border – was able to enter Israel and travel approximately 2 km, while being chased by IDF units on the ground and in the air, according to Israel’s Channel 2 News.

Benjamin Netanyahu, Israel’s Prime Minister, visited the border area near Kerem Shalom on Monday, and expressed his condolences for Egypt’s losses.

Related coverage

October 17, 2017 10:03 am
0

Netanyahu Tells Visiting Russian Defense Minister: Israel Won’t Allow Iran to Establish Itself Militarily in Syria

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu held talks with Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu on Tuesday, saying his country will not...

Weapons used by terrorists in attack on August 5th, 2012. Photo: Screenshot via Mako.

“I also want to express my sadness at the killing of the Egyptian soldiers. I think it is clear that Israel and Egypt have a joint interest in a quiet border,” he said.

Israel’s Defense Minister, Ehud Barak, stated that he hoped this would be a “wake up call” for the Egyptian government that they needed to take Sinai security threats more seriously.  According to Egyptian media reports on Monday, the country’s military is pursuing the terrorists involved, with multiple underground tunnels connecting Gaza and Egypt already destroyed, and a number of assailants in Sunday’s deadly attack already in custody.

As The Algemeiner reported last week, Israelis traveling in the Sinai area were asked to return home via a government initiated travel warning.

To watch IDF Chief of Staff Gantz give a report on the attack, click below.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com