How Leftist Jews Make Terror Kosher
Lenin joked that capitalists would sell him the rope by which he would hang them, and Muslim terrorists may be making the same joke about Jews whom they target.
Jews are among the biggest defenders of Arab-Islamic terrorists and those who help finance their efforts, help advance their political goals and help hide their real aims.
Jewish lawyers, clergy, politicians, journalists have taken a prominent role trying to stop interrogation or surveillance of alleged terrorists, while working to block probes of radical mosque speakers and Islamic funding programs that may aid groups like Al-Qaeda and Hamas or support their agenda.
To some people, this may seem natural, because Jews often fight for causes, lead political movements—from Communists to Neo-Cons—choosing to help the “underdog” in almost any argument, even when the underdog seems to hate Jews.
But Jews are also usually the first target of terrorists and tyrants, and so, it seems a bit incongruous when Jews—consciously or not—seem to be helping terrorists or those who aid terrorists, for example:
1. Over the last eight years, The New York Times, owned by the Sulzberger family, ran many articles exposing sensitive elements of US surveillance programs and bank monitoring plans that thwarted terror plots. The Times also relentlessly attacked, in editorials and features, US interrogation of terrorists as “torture”.
2. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and othe legal lobbies—where Jews are leading members—have toiled tirelessly to win for foreign-born terrorists (who are NOT soldiers or local car thieves) not only the status of uniformed prisoners of war but even the constitutional rights of US criminals.
3. New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, a Jew who leads the biggest Jewish metropolis in America, has supported building a mosque or Islamic center near the site of the World Trade Center destroyed on 9-11 by Muslim terrorists, though most New Yorkers oppose the Islamic project.
4. The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) and prominent Reform rabbis denounced five congressmen as Islamophobic and McCarthyist for asking about possible Islamic penetration of and influence on US government agencies, including the armed services, the State Department and the Department of Justice.
This kind of penetration is not a McCarthist mirage, but a real fact of life. The man who trained Osama Bin-Laden’s bodyguards—Maj. Ali Muhammad—also trained special ops units for the Pentagon. And there are many other examples.
5. ADL and Reform Jewish leaders said that questioning the goals or methods of groups such as ISNA (The Islamic Society of North America) or CAIR (The Council on American Islamic Relations) was “conspiratorial” and “prejudiced.”
“It’s likes someone who says there’s a Jewish conspiracy to take over the world,” asserted Rabbi David Saperstein, a Reform Jewish leader, and he condemned “the Islamophobic effort to discredit and delegitimize the Muslim community.”
Saperstein and ADL referred to five House members: Michelle Bachmann (R-MI), Trent Franks (R-Ariz ), Louis Gohmert (R-Texas), Tom Rooney (R-Fla,.), and Lynn Westmoreland (R-Ga.) who sent letters with questions to the Inspector-Generals of several government agencies.
The five congressmen said they had not accused anyone of crimes but rather raised questions about undue influence from Islamic lobbyists (some of whom were named in US probes), about lax security clearances, and seeming lax government precaution against radical Islamic penetration of the US security community.
ADL said the congressmen should “stop trafficking in anti-Muslim conspiracy theories.” ADL leader Abe Foxman strongly defended the Obama Administration’s Department of Justice (DOJ), which closed major cases against what US government attorneys themselves called Muslim terrorist front organizations.
Neither ADL nor the Reform Jews recalled that Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) and Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) were also critical of US policy regarding radical Islam, and their Senate Homeland Security committee issued a 61-page report that said the Fort Hood shooting, in which 13 died, could easily have been prevented.
Meanwhile, Obama’s DOJ now stresses fighting hate crimes against Muslims, under directives from Attorney General Eric Holder and his assistant, Thomas Perez, though there were five to six times more hate crimes against Jews than Muslims.
Rep. Peter King (R-NY), chair of the House Homeland Security committee, also criticized Attorney General Holder, in April, for stopping indictments of suspected money transfers to Islamic terrorists as part of the Holy Land Foundation case.
So, why is the ADL defending the Obama Department of Justice that puts out a special effort to stop “hate crimes” against Muslims, when there six times as many hate crimes against Jews? Why is ADL going out of its way to help a Justice Department that helps Muslim front organizations?
Why is the Reform Jewish leadership saying that anyone who asks sensible questions about Islamic penetration of US government institutions is a McCarthyist conspiracy monger? After all, the reform rabbis and the ADL are NOT the second coming of William Kunstler, the Jewish lawyer who never passed by a radical cause.
One suspects that it has less to do with conviction than in striking a pose, trying to seem liberal and tolerant—even to terrorists and those who help them.
Beyond the political positions, the Jewish defenders of Islamic groups argue that harsh treatment of suspected terrorists or their backers is unseemly and is actually another victory for the Arab-Islamic terrorists.
“Let us not forget that Muslims were among those murdered on 9/11, and that our Muslim neighbors grieved with us as New Yorkers and as Americans,” said Mayor Bloomberg as he backed the mosque at the 9-11 site. “To cave to popular sentiment would be to hand a victory to the terrorists, and we should not stand for that.”
One can almost hear Lenin joking about “useful idiots.”
Dr. Michael Widlanski, an expert on Arab politics and communications, is the author of Battle for Our Minds: Western Elites and the Terror Threat published by Threshold/Simon and Schuster. He was Strategic Affairs Advisor in Israel’s Ministry of Public Security and teaches at Bar Ilan University.