Barak Implies Israel Responsible For Syria Airstrike
Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak indicated that Israel was behind the last week’s reported Israeli airstrike on Syria.
“I cannot add anything to what you have read in the newspapers about what happened in Syria several days ago,” Barak told a security conference in Munich on Sunday, Reuters reported.
“But I keep telling frankly that we said, and that is another proof that when we say something we mean it. We say that we don’t think it should be allowable to bring advanced weapons systems into Lebanon,” he said.
Barak’s comments were the first by an Israeli official since the strike last week.
Meanwhile, in an interview on Israel’s Channel 2, Major General (res.) Amos Yadlin, former Head of Military Intelligence, and Ronny Daniel, Channel 2‘s military analyst, unofficially agreed with the details revealed by McClatchy News that confirmed Israeli involvement in the strike, Israel National News reported.
In a report published Jan. 31 by McClatchy News, Israeli officials told the news service that Israeli aircraft had destroyed a Syrian military convoy carrying the advanced Russian-made SA-17 anti-aircraft missiles preparing to leave the Jamarya military base, which sits less than 5 miles from the Lebanese border.
Furthermore, U.S. officials said the strike hit both the research center and the convoy of anti-aircraft missiles, the Associated Press reported. Additionally, Time Magazine reported that Israel had received a “green light” from the U.S. on the attack. In recent weeks, U.S. and Israeli officials have expressed concern over Syria’s vast weapons arsenal falling into the wrong hands as the civil war drags on.
Meanwhile, Syrian state-run TV broadcasted footage of the damage at Jamarya, blaming Israel for the wreckage. Syrian officials, backed by Iranian support, have vowed revenge for the strike.