Israel Returning More Bodies of Suicide Bombers to Palestinian Authority
Israel will return more dead bodies of suicide bombers to the Palestinian Authority, including the remains of Ayat Muhammad Lutfi al-Akhras, an 18-year-old who detonated an explosive belt in Jerusalem, killing two Israelis, on March 29, 2002. The body will be delivered on Sunday.
As part of the start of the U.S.-brokered peace process with the PA, Israel agreed to four rounds of prisoner releases, with the third occurring last month, when 26 Palestinian convicts were returned to the PA.
Of the dead bodies, which had been buried, Israel recently returned six out of 36 it pledged to deliver, the Ma’an news agency reported. Freeing al-Akhras’ body brings the overall number of dead Palestinians retrieved from Israel to 100, it said.
In the article, Israeli human rights group HaMoked said that the decision came following an Israeli Supreme Court ruling, confirmed in a separate report from Reuters.
But blogger Elder of Ziyon, who flagged the two reports on Friday, sharply questioned the role of HaMoked and it’s interpretation of the meaning of “human rights” on this issue.
“Dead people don’t have human rights, so presumably HaMoked sued to return the bodies to help eliminate the anguish of the relatives of the terrorists,” Elder of Ziyon wrote. “This way they can get the honor and glory for the terror acts all over again, as is traditional. The human rights of the relatives of the Israelis blown up by terrorists, who have to relive the attacks, don’t seem to be on HaMoked’s radar.”