Toddler Orphaned in Mumbai Terror Attack is ‘Doing Well,’ Israeli Envoy Says
The Jewish toddler who lost both his parents in the infamous 2008 Mumbai terror attacks is “doing well,” Israel’s envoy in India said on Monday, The Times of India reported.
Moshe Holtzberg, now living in Israel, “is going to school. He is a very healthy, happy and a strong kid, growing up under a very complicated situation,” Ambassador Alon Ushpiz said. “He is growing up without his parents. This obviously isn’t easy.”
“He’s staying with his grandparents,” the envoy added. “Also, in this case, an Israeli was saved by an Indian citizen. His nanny took him out.”
Holtzberg was 2 years old when Pakistani terrorists raided a five-story Jewish center, run by his parents, during the devastating attacks. Six Israelis were killed, including his parents: Rabbi Gavriel Holtzberg and his pregnant wife Rivka.
Moshe escaped thanks to his Indian nanny Sandra Samuel, who found him crying beside the blood-soaked bodies of his mother and father. Samuel has not left Moshe since then and was granted Israeli citizenship, according to the report.
In November, Moshe’s grandparents, who live in Afula, a city in northern Israel, said he was growing into a self-assured boy and was like any other 7-year-old.