Suspects Held in Menachem Stark Murder Case, ‘Main Player’ Reportedly Confesses
A total of six suspects are being held by the New York City Police Department on suspicion of involvement in the brutal murder of Chasidic landlord Menachem Stark four months ago, sources close to the family told The Algemeiner.
Despite reports, no arrests have yet been made, according to the sources.
The New York Post cited other sources who said that one of the suspects, a 26-year-old man, has admitted to his role in the crime and implicated two others.
The New York Daily News said police called the suspect the “main player” in the killing.
Earlier in the day, a press conference was called via email by Rabbi David Niederman, executive director of United Jewish Organizations of Williamsburg and a close friend of the family, in which he announced an arrest.
“Today is bitter sweet. Bitter because Menachem is no longer with us and he is forever missed,” he was quoted as saying. “Sweet that the law enforce community has made an arrest in this heinous crime.”
Sources told The Algemeiner that the presser was postponed at the request of the NYPD.
“Reports of arrests are premature,” a source said.
Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said on Wednesday, “We’re very pleased with the direction the investigation is now going,” the Daily News said.
Stark, 39, was abducted by two men in early January who were seen on surveillance footage bundling him into a white van. He was found dead in a Long Island dumpster burnt from the waist down. The father of seven reportedly had various money troubles, which police say may have played a role in his death.