Wednesday, June 29th | 30 Sivan 5782

Subscribe
August 10, 2014 2:59 pm
3

Israel, Hamas Accept Renewed 72-Hour Cease-Fire Proposal

avatar by JNS.org

An Israeli soldier directing deployment of troops on Gaza's border. Photo:IDF.

JNS.orgThe Israeli government has accepted another 72-hour despite heavy rocket fire from Gaza on Sunday.

The Israeli government said in a statement that it accepted the Egyptian brokered ceasefire that will take effect at midnight local time. The head of the Palestinian delegation in Cairo, Azzam al-Ahmed, said that all the Palestinian factions, including Hamas and Islamic Jihad, had accepted ceasefire, the New York Times reported.

According to a statement from the Egyptian government, the ceasefire will allow for the flow of humanitarian aid into Gaza as well as the resumption of negotiations for a permanent ceasefire.

However, Israeli Economics Minister Naftali Bennett said that he disagreed  with another 72-hour ceasefire, saying that he prefers to negotiating for a more long-term truce.

Related coverage

June 29, 2022 9:03 am

Israel Heads Towards Snap Election, Lapid Poised to Be PM

  i24 News – Israel's parliament is expected to dissolve Wednesday, ending Prime Minister Naftali Bennett's year-long tenure and triggering a...

“Every limited ceasefire gives Hamas motivation to renew the fire at the end of the predetermined period,” Bennett said, Walla reported.

Just minutes before the ceasefire was scheduled to go into effect, rocket fire could be heard throughout southern Israel as well as over the greater Tel Aviv area.

If the ceasefire holds, Israeli diplomats said they will return to Cairo on Monday to continue negotiations.

Hamas refused to renew a previous 72-hour ceasefire last week and resumed rocket fire two hours before it was set to expire last Friday.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.