Thursday, July 7th | 8 Tammuz 5782

Subscribe
August 26, 2014 12:14 pm
4

2 Israelis Dead, 5 Wounded in Gaza Rocket Barrage as Cease-Fire Takes Hold (VIDEO)

avatar by Dave Bender

Schoolchildren, and a dog, at Kibbutz Nir Oz examine Kassam rocket damage to a kindergarten (Illustration, photo: Dave Bender)

Schoolchildren, and a dog, at Kibbutz Nir Oz examine Kassam rocket damage to a kindergarten (Illustration, photo: Dave Bender)

Two Israelis were killed, and five others were wounded in a massive rocket barrage from Gaza on a nearby kibbutz as a new cease-fire between Israel and Hamas took effect, Israel’s Channel 2 reported Tuesday evening.

The two were part of a crew attempting to fix a power line when a mortar hit close by, Army radio said.

Israel Radio named one of the victims as Zeevik Etzion, a 55-year-old father of five, who headed security at Kibbutz Nirim.

The deaths bring to 70 the number of Israeli civilians and soldiers killed in Operation Protective Edge, meant to foil Gaza rocket fire from above and attack tunnels from below into Israeli territory.

Related coverage

July 7, 2022 10:44 am

Toronto Police Arrest Man Responsible for Antisemitic Graffiti Near York University

The person responsible for graffitiing antisemitic messages near York University in Canada has been arrested and charged, the Toronto Police...

In parallel, 50 days after fighting began, Israel and the terror group agreed to the unconditional Egyptian-brokered cease-fire that began at seven p.m.

Palestinian rocket crews continued pouring mortar fire and rocket attacks into the community and the area for about the next half hour, despite the initial deal.

However, IDF forces were instructed to hold their fire, as per the accord, according to Channel 2.

Unconfirmed Palestinian sources reported that the IDF had earlier fired retaliatory artillery fire at targets in southern Gaza.

Details on the agreement are scarce and conflicting, according to both local and foreign media. Initial reports, however, aver that the cease-fire is to go on a month, after which the two sides are to open talks over the details of continuing the truce.

“The Egyptian ceasefire proposal does not mention Hamas’ preconditions for a CF [cease-fire]: a seaport, an airport, release of prisoners & transfer of funds”,” according to the Israeli Prime Minister’s Spokesman Ofir Gendelman on Twitter.

Economy Minister Naftali Bennett asked senior officials in the Prime Minister’s office to have a vote on the cease-fire,” knowing it wouldn’t pass; the request was refused”,” according to Israel’s Walla” News.

Israel’s Foreign Ministry confirmed the agreement, in a brief tweet sent at 19:40 p.m.

#Israel agrees to Egyptian proposition of unlimited ceasefire. After 11 ceasefires violated by #Hamas #Gaza here’s hoping this one will hold,” Ministry Spokesman Yigal Palmor said.

Palestinian sources said Hamas was celebrating “victory” in the deal. Initial unconfirmed reports said dozens of Palestinians were hurt by celebratory gunfire.

Watch a video of Iron Dome anti-rocket interceptors shooting down multiple rockets from Gaza, over what appears to be an IDF base:

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.