Sunday, June 26th | 28 Sivan 5782

Subscribe
August 27, 2014 10:46 am
0

Israeli Leaders in South Skeptical of Gaza Cease-Fire: ‘I Have Lost Total Confidence’

avatar by JNS.org

An Israeli soldier directing deployment of troops on Gaza's border. Photo:IDF.

JNS.org – Leaders and residents of southern Israel are not optimistic about the newly reached cease-fire deal with Hamas and have harsh criticism for the Jewish state’s Operation Protective Edge, believing that it did not contribute to longterm security in their communities.

Ashkelon Mayor Itamar Shimoni said, “Every concession to Hamas is giving in to terrorism.”

“The residents of Israel and of the south wanted to see [Hamas] defeated in this campaign, but that apparently will not happen,” he said, according to Israel Hayom. “We wanted to see Hamas on its knees, begging for its life, and what we are actually seeing is Israel running to the negotiating table at every opportunity presented to it.”

Sdot Negev Regional Council head Tamir Idan was similarly upset. “Silently agreeing to a situation whereby [terrorists’ can shoot as much as they want until a cease-fire is reached is extremely dangerous. … We demand that the Israeli government and the Israel Defense Forces honor their commitment and respond to every act of fire with great strength,” Idan said.

Related coverage

June 26, 2022 5:22 pm

Bus to the Future: Israeli Tour Shines Spotlight on Periphery’s Female Entrepreneurs

CTech – Dozens of senior executives from Israel’s economic sector participated last week in a special tour to support the...

Eshkol Regional Council head Haim Yalin said the cease-fire “will simply turn into fire.”

“These cease-fires are like a movie played on repeat gain, and again and again, and it never stops,” said Eshkol region resident Yehezkel Alon.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.