Saturday, May 27th | 2 Sivan 5777

Close

Be in the know!

Get our exclusive daily news briefing.

Subscribe
October 30, 2015 5:17 pm

Israel Agrees to Release Bodies of Hebron Knife Attackers

avatar by Algemeiner Staff

Email a copy of "Israel Agrees to Release Bodies of Hebron Knife Attackers" to a friend
The site where an Israeli soldier was stabbed and a Palestinian assailant shot dead, Hebron, Oct. 29, 2015. Photo: Israel Police Spokesperson's Unit.

The site where an Israeli soldier was stabbed and his Palestinian assailant shot dead, Hebron, Oct. 29, 2015. Photo: Israel Police Spokesperson’s Unit.

Israel agreed to release the bodies of five Palestinians on Friday who were shot by Israeli security forces in the Hebron area recently in the middle of carrying out terror attacks.

Hebron Mayor Dr. Daoud Zatari told local Arabic radio on Friday that Israel agreed to return the bodies only after Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas — who has blamed Israel for the recent violence — pursued the issue in international fora, requesting the bodies be returned to their families for proper burial.

The move was likely meant to mitigate the seething tensions between Palestinians and Israeli security forces in the area, where clashes have been ongoing for days. Israel’s agreement to return the bodies even came after some officials, including Public Security Minister Gilad Erdan, sought to bar the return of terrorists’ bodies to their families.

Related coverage

May 26, 2017 7:13 pm
0

UN, Norwegian Government, Distance Themselves From Palestinian Youth Center Named for Terrorist Dalal Mughrabi

The United Nations and the Norwegian government have moved swiftly to distance themselves from a Palestinian youth center named after...

According to AFP, Palestinian anger swelled around Israel’s refusal to return the bodies of many alleged attackers, further fueling demonstrations, riots and clashes with Israeli security forces in the area.

The Israeli army has also carried out a limited number of house demolitions of terrorists homes, another tactic that has enraged Palestinians, but which Israel says is necessary to deter further attacks. The Israel Defense Forces chief of staff, Gadi Eizenkot, said last week that the army has been seeking to restore quiet after weeks of clashes and terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians and security forces, though he added no end was in sight.

On Thursday, Israeli forces shot two Palestinians in the middle of attacks and clashes continued into Friday, with more than a dozen Palestinian rioters injured according to reports.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner
  • David k

    Shocking and saddening.
    Wondering why other coalition members have not spoken up to stop any further giving away of bodies..

  • dante

    Israel govt, again, makes itself look weak and timid in face of terrorism. NOTE TO GOVT: if you adopt a reasonable policy, don’t abandon it as soon as soon as the enemy reacts against it. and here’s a hint: the enemy opposes any reaction to its attacks.

    if, for good reasons, you make concessions, get something concrete in exchange. don’t be a chump. at least, act as if you know what you’re doing and you care about your people.

Algemeiner.com