Tuesday, May 23rd | 27 Iyyar 5777

Close

Be in the know!

Get our exclusive daily news briefing.

Subscribe
September 7, 2016 11:12 am

88 US Generals, Including Holocaust Survivor, Sign Open Letter Supporting Trump

avatar by JNS.org

Email a copy of "88 US Generals, Including Holocaust Survivor, Sign Open Letter Supporting Trump" to a friend
Major Gen. Sidney Shachnow. Photo: Wikimedia Commons.

Major Gen. Sidney Shachnow. Photo: Wikimedia Commons.

JNS.org – A group of 88 American generals, including the only Holocaust survivor to reach that rank in the US Army, signed an open letter supporting Donald J. Trump for president on Tuesday.

The letter, which includes four four-star and 14 three-star flag officers, was organized by Major Gen. Sidney Shachnow and Rear Admiral Charles Williams.

“The beating that Trump is taking [by Hillary Clinton’s campaign] that he doesn’t have the temperament to be the commander-in-chief is erroneous,” Williams told JNS.org. “We wanted to get this out right now.”

Related coverage

September 19, 2016 4:01 pm
5

Watchdog Uncovers New Members in Antisemitic Student Ring at U of Tennessee That Supports Terrorism, Lauds Hitler

A ring of antisemitic students at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville (UTK) has turned out to be larger than originally...

Shachnow, a 40-year veteran who served as a Green Beret, was Commanding General of the US Army Special Forces Command Airborne at Ft. Bragg. He is the recipient of the Distinguished Service Medal, served as commanding officer of five organizations throughout his career and received the Legion of Merit.

Williams’ colleagues, who have advised Trump privately, say the billionaire businessman listens 90 percent of the time and asks questions the other 10%. “He grasps the concept, then moves onto the next issue, which is what a CEO and leader does,” Williams said.

For many in the military community, national security is the biggest concern, and in conversations with numerous peers, Williams said many were willing, and continue to be willing, to sign their names to the open letter supporting Trump.

“If you don’t have national security, you don’t have anything,” Williams said. “These guys have spent their lives in national security; the military is an extension of the State Department. They’ve been on the front lines. When you look at the world and what’s gone wrong, Hillary Clinton didn’t make it any better. More of the same is not the answer.”

So far, Williams has contacted 170 out of over 3,000 living retired admirals and generals. While 90 people have agreed to sign the letter so far, Williams said others told him they will vote for Trump but didn’t want to sign a public statement. Few expressed criticism of the letter, he said.

The group may make a second announcement after reaching out to more in the military community, Williams added. Tuesday’s letter emerged ahead of the Sept. 7 event at which Clinton and Trump will appear in a first-ever “Commander-in-Chief Forum,” hosted by the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America in New York City. It will feature questions from NBC News and an audience made up of mostly veterans and active service members.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner
  • I am no ardent fan of Trump but to believe for a minute that Hillary Clinton is a better option is basically living with ones HEAD in the sand.

    Gary
    Retired Navy Chief Petty Officer

  • Yaakov

    Jews should keep their noses clean and stay out of all this.

  • Ch Hoffman

    he loves dictators
    he doesn’t like McCain ’cause he was captured
    he knows more about ISIS than the generals

    he’s as ready to be commander-in-chief as he is to say maftir-yonah on Yom Kippur

Algemeiner.com