Watchdog Group Calls Out LA Times for Misinforming Readers on Israel Terror Wave
JNS.org – The Los Angeles Times is being called out by a media watchdog group for obscuring Palestinian responsibility for a series of recent terror attacks.
LA Times writer Joshua Mitnick’s Sept. 20 article, entitled “Israeli military says Palestinian teenager killed after trying to stab soldier,” depicts Palestinian attackers as victims rather than being responsible for terror attacks against Israelis, according to the watchdog. In particular, six Palestinians and one Jordanian were killed in recent attacks, but Mitnick’s article allegedly fails to report that they perpetrated the violence.
The Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America (CAMERA) called it “a gross neglect of journalistic responsibility.”
Mitnick also notes specific attacks during the recent wave of violence, including the Sept. 20 stabbing attempt in Hebron, but he fails to mention that Palestinians were responsible for continuous attacks throughout the past year.
CAMERA identified various other media outlets which have held a higher journalism standard on this story than the LA Times. The Guardian, Al Jazeera, The New York Times and Reuters all reported that the majority of the attackers killed in the terror wave that began last year were Palestinians, according to the group.
With the LA Times piece, CAMERA said, “Readers are left on their own to deduce that it is Palestinians who are responsible for the ongoing attacks of the last year, or not.”