Israeli Security Cabinet Orders Demolition of Truck-Ramming Terrorist’s Home
JNS.org – Israel’s security cabinet approved several measures in the wake of Sunday’s truck-ramming attack in Jerusalem, which claimed the lives of four Israeli soldiers and left another 16 wounded.
Ministers voted unanimously to order the IDF to raze the home of terrorist Fadi al-Qanbar — who was killed by a civilian during the attack — in the east Jerusalem neighborhood of Jabel Mukaber. Members of the terrorist’s family will not be allowed to meet with relatives who live in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank, and al-Qanbar’s body will not be returned to his family for burial.
Al-Qanbar, a 28-year-old father-of-four had no known ties to any terrorist group, though he recently posted several pro-Islamic State comments on his Facebook page. Al-Qanbar’s cousin told Israel Hayom that the terrorist had been “very upset” by recent reports that the US was considering relocating its Israeli embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, and had said the move would “spark a war.”
After the deadly attack, the Israeli Police and Shin Bet security agency raided al-Qanbar’s home and detained his wife, parents and two siblings for questioning.
Al-Qanbar’s sister told Palestinian media that she is “proud” of his actions and “grateful Allah has chosen him to die as a shahid (martyr).”
Nine other people have been arrested in connection with the attack, but an Israeli defense official said it is believed al-Qanbar acted alone and that the truck-ramming was not premeditated, but a crime of opportunity.
Four of the soldiers wounded during yesterday’s attack at the Armon Hanatziv bus stop remain hospitalized. The funerals of Lt. Yael Yekutiel, 20, of Givatayim, Lt. Shir Hajaj, 22, of Ma’ale Adumim, 2nd Lt. Erez Orbach, 20, of Alon Shvut, and 2nd Lt. Shira Tzur, 20, from Haifa, took place Monday.