Another Two US Jewish Community Centers Evacuated After Receiving Bomb Threats
JNS.org – Jewish community centers (JCCs) in New York and Wisconsin received bomb threats Tuesday in the latest wave of threats targeting the American Jewish community.
The Louis S. Wolk JCC of Greater Rochester in Brighton, NY, was evacuated after an email alert went out to employees and members notifying them of the bomb threat. Around 75 people were in the building at the time.
“I am aware that there are other JCC facilities across the country that have received the same or similar-type threats,” Brighton Police Chief Mark Henderson told reporters, the Democrat and Chronicle reported. “We will work with the FBI to see if this was a similar type threat.”
The threat against the Rochester-area JCC comes just a week after headstones were overturned in a Jewish cemetery in that city.
Additionally, the Harry and Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center in Milwaukee, Wis., was forced to temporarily close after receiving an emailed bomb threat overnight. The same JCC has been targeted by two other bomb threats this year, both of which were phoned in. The JCC said on Facebook that it would reopen later Tuesday morning.
Last week, federal authorities arrested a former journalist, Juan Thompson, charging him with using fake email accounts to make bomb threats against Jewish organizations, including the Anti-Defamation League. The FBI does not believe Thompson was behind the dozens of phoned-in bomb threats affecting JCCs across the nation, and is continuing its investigation.