Wednesday, November 14th | 6 Kislev 5779

Subscribe
September 13, 2018 11:04 am

Israeli Forces Take Down Protest Huts at West Bank Bedouin Village

avatar by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

Email a copy of "Israeli Forces Take Down Protest Huts at West Bank Bedouin Village" to a friend

Palestinians gesture in front of Israeli forces after the forces removed shacks erected by Palestinian activists protesting the demolition of Khan al-Ahmar, in the West Bank on Sept. 13, 2018. Photo: Reuters / Mussa Qawasma.

Israel security forces on Thursday dismantled several shacks built by Palestinian protesters near Khan al-Ahmar, a Bedouin village in the West Bank that Israel has slated for demolition.

Reuters witnesses said Israeli forces arrived at the village before sunrise on Thursday and began taking down the newly-built protest huts, without touching the Bedouin encampment, the fate of which has become a focus of Palestinian protests and international concern.

Israel’s military liaison agency with the Palestinians, COGAT, said on Twitter that five “movable structures that were illegally transported & installed” in the area had been taken down.

The five new huts had been assembled this week by activists from several rights groups and the Western-backed Palestinian Authority in support of the Bedouin community.

Related coverage

November 14, 2018 11:07 am
0

Israeli PM Netanyahu Scrambles to Stabilize Governing Coalition After Lieberman Resignation

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is scrambling to shore up his governing coalition following the resignation of Defense Minister Avigdor...

Khan al-Ahmar is beside an Israeli highway that runs through the West Bank from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea.

Israel’s plan to demolish the village and relocate its 180 residents — Bedouins who scrape a living by raising sheep and goats — to a site 12 km (7 miles) away, has drawn criticism from Palestinians and some European states, who cite the impact on the community and prospects for peace.

Palestinians say the demolition is part of an Israeli push to create an arc of settlements that would effectively cut off East Jerusalem from the West Bank, territories Israel captured in the 1967 Six-Day War and which the Palestinians seek for an independent state.

Last week, Israel’s Supreme Court rejected petitions to prevent the move, siding with the authorities who say the village was built without required permits. Palestinians say such documents are impossible to obtain.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com