Monday, March 18th | 11 Adar II 5779

Subscribe
January 16, 2019 10:39 am

Four US Troops Reported Among 16 Dead in North Syria Bomb Attack

avatar by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

Email a copy of "Four US Troops Reported Among 16 Dead in North Syria Bomb Attack" to a friend

US and Turkish soldiers conduct the first-ever combined joint patrol outside Manbij, Syria, Nov. 1, 2018. Photo: Courtesy of Arnada Jones/ US Army / Handout via Reuters.

A bomb attack claimed by Islamic State killed US troops in northern Syria on Wednesday, weeks after President Donald Trump said the group was defeated there and he would pull out all American forces.

A US official who declined to be named said four U.S. troops had been killed and three wounded in the blast, which an Islamic State-affiliated site said was the work of a suicide bomber. Others said only two had been killed.

The US-led coalition fighting the Islamist militant group said that “US service members were killed during an explosion while conducting a routine patrol,” and that it was still gathering details.

The attack, which took place in the town of Manbij, controlled by rebels opposed to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, appears to be the deadliest on US forces in Syria since they deployed on the ground there in 2015.

Related coverage

March 18, 2019 2:38 pm
0

Iran Demands US Leave Syria, Assad Regime Threatens Kurds

Iran and Syria on Monday demanded the United States withdraw its troops from Syria, and the Damascus government threatened to defeat...

A Pentagon spokeswoman said that only two US troops had previously been killed in action in Syria. There were two additional non-combat fatalities.

Last month, US President Donald Trump made a surprise announcement that he would withdraw all 2,000 American troops from Syria after concluding that Islamic State had been defeated there.

The announcement helped trigger the resignation of his defense secretary, Jim Mattis, stunned allies and raised fears of a long-threatened Turkish military offensive against US-backed Kurdish forces in northern Syria.

Restaurant attacked

A witness in the city said the attack had targeted a restaurant where US personnel were meeting members of the local militia that Washington backs there.

The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitoring group said 16 people had been killed in all, including two Americans. A militia source in north Syria also said two US troops had been killed.

Islamic State later put out a statement saying a Syrian fighter had detonated his explosive vest on a foreign patrol in Manbij.

Two witnesses described the blast to Reuters.

“An explosion hit near a restaurant, targeting the Americans, and there were some forces from the Manbij Military Council with them,” one said.

The Manbij Military Council militia has controlled the town since US-backed Kurdish-led forces took it from Islamic State in 2016. It is located near areas held by Russian-backed Syrian government forces and by anti-Assad fighters backed by Turkey.

One of the witnesses said there was a “heavy” presence of military aircraft over Manbij following the blast, which took place near a vegetable market.

Photographs on a local Kurdish news site, which Reuters could not verify, showed two mutilated bodies, several other bodies lying on the ground with people gathered around them, damage to a building and vehicles, and blood smears on a wall.

It was unclear whether the attack might influence Trump’s decision to give more time for the US withdrawal, a conflict he has tired of and described as “sand and death.”

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com