Thursday, October 1st | 13 Tishri 5781

Subscribe
July 8, 2020 5:06 pm

Pompeo Says US Seized Iranian Weapons on Way to Houthi Rebels in Yemen

avatar by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

A Houthi supporter carries a weapon in Sanaa, Yemen, April 2, 2020. Photo: Reuters / Mohamed al-Sayaghi / File.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced on Wednesday that US and “partner” forces seized a boat in June carrying Iranian weapons to Houthi rebels in Yemen as he renewed his call for the UN Security Council to extend an arms embargo on Iran.

“The Security Council must extend the arms embargo on Iran to prevent further conflict in the region,” Pompeo told a State Department news conference. “No serious person can possibly believe Iran will use any weapon it receives for peaceful ends.”

Pompeo is leading an American drive to persuade the Security Council to extend the embargo due to expire in mid-October under the terms of the 2015 Iran nuclear deal from which the US withdrew in 2018.

He took his appeal directly to the council last week, with an address to its 15 members. But veto-wielding Russia and China signaled their opposition to an extension.

Related coverage

September 30, 2020 2:38 pm
0

Etihad Airways CEO Sees ‘Great Opportunity’ in Potential Israel-UAE Flights

The CEO of the United Arab Emirates' second-largest airline says that his company is exploring the possibility of starting direct...

At his news conference, Pompeo said that US and unidentified “partner” forces interdicted a vessel off Yemen’s coast on June 28 that was carrying Iranian arms to Houthi rebels.

Iran is not abiding by the U.N. arms embargo that is due to expire in less than four months now,” he said.

The weapons, he said, included 200 rocket-propelled grenades, more than 1,700 assault rifles, 21 surface-to-air and land-attack missiles, several anti-tank missiles “and other advanced weapons and missiles.”

Iran-aligned Houthi rebels have been fighting the Yemeni government, backed by a Saudi-led coalition, since 2015.

Pompeo noted that a report by UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres last week confirmed US charges that weapons seized by American forces in November 2019 and February 2020 were “of Iranian origin.”

Iran’s United Nations Mission said there were “serious flaws, inaccuracies and discrepancies” in Guterres’s report.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.