Friday, September 18th | 29 Elul 5780

Subscribe
August 17, 2020 10:24 am

Lebanon Needs Two-Week Lockdown After ‘Shocking’ COVID-19 Rise, Minister Says

avatar by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

Health workers take swab samples from passengers who arrived at Beirut International Airport on its re-opening day, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, in Beirut, Lebanon, July 1, 2020. Photo: Reuters / Aziz Taher.

Lebanon must shut down for two weeks after a surge in coronavirus infections, the caretaker health minister said on Monday, as the country reels from the massive Beirut port blast.

“We declare today a state of general alert and we need a brave decision to close (the country) for two weeks,” Hamad Hassan told Voice of Lebanon radio.

Lebanon on Sunday registered a record 439 new infections and six more deaths from the virus in 24 hours.

The country, already deep in financial crisis, was struggling with a COVID-19 spike before the Aug. 4 blast that killed at least 178 people, wrecked swathes of the capital and pushed the government to resign.

Related coverage

September 17, 2020 2:28 pm
0

Emirates Flight Catering Looking to Open Kosher Restaurants Throughout Gulf Region

Ahead of the expected launch of Tel Aviv-Dubai flights following the normalization deal signed by Israel and the UAE, Emirates...

The warehouse explosion damaged many hospitals and overwhelmed them with more than 6,000 wounded. It put about half of 55 medical centers across Beirut out of service, the World Health Organization (WHO) said last week.

“We are all facing a real challenge and the numbers that were recorded in the last period are shocking,” Hassan said. “The matter requires decisive measures.” Intensive care beds at state and private hospitals were now full, he added.

In comments to Reuters, Hassan said authorities would not close the country’s airport so far, with the rise stemming mostly from within the country.

“The real danger is the spread within society,” he said. “Everyone must be on high alert and take the strictest prevention measures.”

Still, after the blast uprooted nearly a quarter of a million people, the risk of the virus spreading has grown, the WHO has said. The country’s tally now stands at 8,881 cases and 103 deaths since February, according to Health Ministry data.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.