Sunday, May 24th | 8 Sivan 5786

Subscribe
August 2, 2023 4:17 pm

FBI Investigating Spate of Antisemitic Incidents in Florida

×

    [honeypot honeypot-903]




    avatar by Dion J. Pierre

    Chabad Jewish Center in Pensacola, Florida. In July, an unknown person heaved a brick graffitied with antisemitic messages through one of its windows. Photo: Facebook/Chabad Jewish Center.

    The FBI is aiding the investigation of a spate of antisemitic incidents that occurred in Pensacola, Florida, last month, a local daily reported on Wednesday.

    On July 20, an unknown individual heaved a brick — graffitied with a swastika and a message saying, “No Jews, F*** K****” — through the window of the Pensacola Chabad Jewish Center located in the Goulding section of the city. On Friday, another unknown individual threw two bricks through the bathroom window Temple Beth El, Florida’s first and oldest synagogue.

    According to Pensacola News Journal, a total of four antisemitic incidents have happened across the city in less than two weeks. The others, police confirmed last Tuesday, involved swastika graffiti.

    “We’re working with a number of our partners — our local partners, our state partners and our federal partners — to make sure that we hold accountable the person or persons that may be responsible for these incidents in our community,” Pensacola Police Chief Eric Randall said, according the paper, on Tuesday during a weekly press conference, adding, “my message to the person or persons involved is, we’re going to find you.”

    The incidents in Pensacola come amid a nationwide spike in similar expressions of hate. According to an annual audit by the Anti-Defamation League issued in 2023, 36 percent more such incidents took place in 2022 than the previous year, with ten incidents happening per day for a total of 3,697, the highest ever since the ADL began tracking them in 1979.

    During Tuesday’s press conference, Pensacola Mayor Darcy Curran Reeves (R) vowed to the bring the culprits behind the incidents to justice.

    “We’re going to find them,” Reeves said. “I don’t think that a person or people like this really deserve the dignity of the attention they’re craving, but I have full confidence our police department is getting to the bottom of it, and then perhaps they’ll get the attention that they want.”

    As The Algemeiner has previously reported, federal law enforcement authorities have opened and resolved several cases involving neo-Nazis and white-supremacists in recent months. On Thursday, a California neo-Nazi who allegedly manufactured ghost guns and conspired to distribute methamphetamines was arrested after a lengthy and comprehensive investigation of his activities.

    On Friday, the Justice Department announced that a drug-dealing neo-Nazi from Anchorage, Alaska, will serve 18 months in prison for being convicted of property crimes motivated by antisemitism and white supremacy. Earlier this month, a New Jersey teenager pleaded guilty to communicating a threat to attack synagogues, and in June, a federal grand jury indicted 19-year-old Seann Pietila from Pickford, Michigan for allegedly threatening to commit a mass shooting and live stream it on social media.

    Follow Dion J. Pierre @DionJPierre.

    Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

    Let your voice be heard!

    Join the Algemeiner

    Algemeiner.com

    This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
    Email a copy of to a friend
    This field is hidden when viewing the form
    This field is hidden when viewing the form
    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.