One of the greatest things any one can do in life is give charity, and every person, regardless of his means or financial situation should give time and money to charity. Whether it is done out of religious obligation, or for good karma, it is a simple mandate, and easy enough for all of us to give what we can. If we were more charitable, the world would simply be a better place.
One of the greatest things I am able to do, even as a busy entrepreneur, is serve on the board of several philanthropic organizations. Giving one’s time and skills is also charitable – and it is amongst the most rewarding things I spend my time doing.
A few charities I am on the board of focus on Jewish education – amongst them is a group called the Russian-American Jewish Experience (RAJE), which helps Russian émigrés learn more about Judaism. Kars4Kids is another great charity. Of course, others choose to work with seniors or disabled people. There are so many important causes; just pick something and make a difference.
There are many great quotes about the importance of giving back and charity. Here is a collection of some I find inspiring:
- “If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I? And if not now, when?” – Rabbi Hillel
- “We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill
- “In Faith and Hope the world will disagree, but all mankind’s concern is charity.” – Alexander Pope
- “Riches, power and fame last only for a few years! Why do people cling so desperately to these transitory things? Why can’t people who have more than they need for themselves give that surplus to their fellow citizens? Why should some people have such a hard time during their few years on this earth?” – Anne Frank (diary entry, 1944)
- “And now abideth faith, hope and charity, these three, but the greatest of these is charity. [Corinthians]” – New Testament
- “Deeds of giving are the very foundations of the world.” – Jewish saying derived from the Mishna, Pirkei Avot 1:2
- “There is no sweet companion like pure charity.” – Fo-Sho-Hing-Tsan-King
- “The fault with charity–too little; with speech–too much.” – Judah Al Harizi Tahkemoni
- “True charity remembers not only those in need who ask, but also those who are prevented by some reason from asking.” – Sura 5119
- “Tzedakah and acts of kindness are the equivalent of all the mitzvot of the Torah.” – Jerusalem Talmud, Pe’ah 1:1.
- “Charity for God’s sake has a hundred signs within the heart– the good deed, a hundred tokens. Though in charity riches are consumed, a hundred lives come to the heart in return. A sowing of pure seeds in God’s earth, and then no income! Impossible.” – Rumi
- “Peace, like charity, begins at home.” – Ben Zevi
Go out and do it and make a difference. Charity needs you.
Ronn Torossian established the Ronn Torossian Foundation to direct his charitable donations. He is an entrepreneur and author. who would love to hear your favorite quotes on charity via Facebook. Contact him here.