Israeli Woman Swallows Toothbrush While Trying to Scrub Larynx
by Zach Pontz
One woman in Israel took her teeth a little too seriously Thursday night, having to be rushed to the emergency room of a local hospital after swallowing her toothbrush, Israel’s Channel 2 reported Friday.
Apparently, the 35-year-old Kiryat Bialik resident swallowed the brush while trying to reach her larynx for a little scrubbing. When a Magen David Adom emergency crew arrived, they were unable to assist the woman, and she was sent to Rambam Hospital, in Haifa.
Fortunately for the woman, Israeli doctors were able to remove the brush without surgery, and she was released from the hospital shortly afterwards.
This isn’t the first time an Israeli has grabbed headlines for swallowing a toothbrush. Last year a woman was also rushed to a Haifa Hospital for the very same reason, but doctors were at first skeptical of her story as their x-ray systems couldn’t identify the plastic object in her stomach. In that instance, only after the woman visited a gastroenterologist, who used an advanced scanner to identify and then remove the object, was she vindicated.