Saturday, December 3rd | 3 Kislev 5777

Close

Be in the know!

Get our exclusive daily news briefing.

Subscribe
August 15, 2014 6:28 am

Poll: 63 Percent of British Jews Question Future in Country Amid Wave of Anti-Semitic Attacks

avatar by Shiryn Ghermezian

Email a copy of "Poll: 63 Percent of British Jews Question Future in Country Amid Wave of Anti-Semitic Attacks" to a friend

A pro-Israel rally in England. Photo: Screenshot.

Well over half of all British Jews are now re-considering their future presence in the United Kingdom following an increase in anti-Semitic attacks and anti-Israel activism sparked by the Jewish state’s war against Hamas in Gaza, a new poll shows.

Britain’s The Jewish Chronicle conducted the straw poll this week asking 150 people, “Since the protests against the war in Gaza began, have you or your friends had a discussion about whether there is a future for Jews in the UK?” A little over 63 percent answered “Yes.”

“I used to live in Israel but I do regret coming back to the UK. I can’t understand the hatred in this country, the anti-Semitic remarks, when we are all British,” Manchester resident Carole Sewelson, 70, told The JC.

Related coverage

September 20, 2016 10:07 am
0

IAF Intercepts Hamas Drone Off Gaza Coast

A Hamas drone that took off from the Gaza Strip Tuesday was intercepted by an Israeli Air Force aircraft just off...

Glenn Cohen, 25, a shop worker from Prestwich, expressed similar sentiments, saying, “I think about leaving all the time. I love this country, but there are hotter countries where you don’t get all of this tension.”

Watchdog group Community Security Trust logged 240 anti-Semitic incidents in Britain throughout the month of July, making it the second worst month for anti-Semitism since British records began. A spokesperson for the CST said the number of racist incidents continued to “rise steadily” during the first two weeks of August.

Scottish communal leaders also expressed concern over the future of the country’s Jewish population, saying there was a “disproportionate obsession with Israel in Scottish public life.”

“A number of people have said that they no longer feel welcome in Scotland and that they are actively considering moving to Israel,” according to the Scottish Council of Jewish Communities.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner
  • Mike P.

    The British “stiff upper lip” holds back more than speaking freely of their quotidien travails, but holds back all the ugly thoughts that pollute their mind which they struggle to withhold when speaking face-to-face with a Jew.

  • jay cahen

    Brits have let in so many peace loving Islamists that its Sharia law time in about 50 years..hope they enjoy. Get out Jews while you can.

  • judorebbe

    Only 63% – What are the other 37% smoking?

  • Eric R

    Why did 350,000 Brits die fighting the Nazis, when it turned out they wanted a Nazi state all along?

    • Mike P.

      Winston Churchill used the bulldog as his mascot to represent the English people in order to follow the dictum of “giving a dog a good name” in the hopes that the dog will live up to that name, not because the dog is deserving. In fact, he taught the British a bravery and backbone that was not endemic or natural. He knew the reality. It was he who was forced to live as an outcast during the 1930’s, while warning of Hitler, and it was he who was thanked by his people in 1946 by being booted from office for accurately warning of the threat of Stalin. Churchill pulled off a miracle of temporarily steeling the British, watching them then revert to their inclination toward appeasement. Recall that the British were quickly and easily dispatched from occupying the Jewish homeland with a few bombs, and that they also consigned millions of Jews to be killed during the Holocaust, rather than allowing them refuge in Palestine as the League of Nations Mandate would require, on account of a few Arab riots. Were it only that England had remaining a few tough Jews, the country would swiftly change its tune yet again.

  • Issy Hass

    I TOLD YOU SO—-BEFORE LEAVING TO ISRAEL WHERE EASY TO BE A JEW AND HAVE A RELIABLE NEWS AWAY FROM THE BBC,THE GURDIANS—-ETC
    COME TO ISRAEL BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE
    GERMANY WAS GOOD FOR THE JEWS,BUT BUT
    Issy Hass-sunny ranana

  • E Pluribus Wombat

    That’s more or less right. At best, half will leave no matter how bad things get. Assuming of course that the UK doesn’t expel all the Jews by force. Which is about 50/50 in the long run. There’s probably one generation of Jewish existence left in Britain. After that it’s just old people and the “Jews” so assimilated they’ve changed their names and joined either the CoE or Islam.

Algemeiner.com