2 Israelis Dead, 5 Wounded in Gaza Rocket Barrage as Cease-Fire Takes Hold (VIDEO)
Error: Contact form not found.
by Dave Bender

Schoolchildren, and a dog, at Kibbutz Nir Oz examine Kassam rocket damage to a kindergarten (Illustration, photo: Dave Bender)
Two Israelis were killed, and five others were wounded in a massive rocket barrage from Gaza on a nearby kibbutz as a new cease-fire between Israel and Hamas took effect, Israel’s Channel 2 reported Tuesday evening.
The two were part of a crew attempting to fix a power line when a mortar hit close by, Army radio said.
Israel Radio named one of the victims as Zeevik Etzion, a 55-year-old father of five, who headed security at Kibbutz Nirim.
The deaths bring to 70 the number of Israeli civilians and soldiers killed in Operation Protective Edge, meant to foil Gaza rocket fire from above and attack tunnels from below into Israeli territory.
In parallel, 50 days after fighting began, Israel and the terror group agreed to the unconditional Egyptian-brokered cease-fire that began at seven p.m.
Palestinian rocket crews continued pouring mortar fire and rocket attacks into the community and the area for about the next half hour, despite the initial deal.
However, IDF forces were instructed to hold their fire, as per the accord, according to Channel 2.
Unconfirmed Palestinian sources reported that the IDF had earlier fired retaliatory artillery fire at targets in southern Gaza.
Details on the agreement are scarce and conflicting, according to both local and foreign media. Initial reports, however, aver that the cease-fire is to go on a month, after which the two sides are to open talks over the details of continuing the truce.
Economy Minister Naftali Bennett asked senior officials in the Prime Minister’s office to have a vote on the cease-fire,” knowing it wouldn’t pass; the request was refused”,” according to Israel’s Walla” News.
Israel’s Foreign Ministry confirmed the agreement, in a brief tweet sent at 19:40 p.m.
“#Israel agrees to Egyptian proposition of unlimited ceasefire. After 11 ceasefires violated by #Hamas #Gaza here’s hoping this one will hold,” Ministry Spokesman Yigal Palmor said.
Palestinian sources said Hamas was celebrating “victory” in the deal. Initial unconfirmed reports said dozens of Palestinians were hurt by celebratory gunfire.
Watch a video of Iron Dome anti-rocket interceptors shooting down multiple rockets from Gaza, over what appears to be an IDF base:
El-Sayed Trails in Michigan Senate Race as Prominent Jewish Democratic Bundlers Fundraise for Opponent
Polish Soccer Fans Taunt Hapoel Tel Aviv Fans With Nazi Salute During UEFA Conference League Match
New ‘Muslim NATO’ ‘Aimed at Israel,’ Official Warns, but Experts Say Pact Is Largely Declarative
Spanish Broadcaster Apologizes for Omitting Name, Nationality of Israeli Athlete During Live Broadcast
Palestinian Support for Hamas Falls, New Poll Shows
US Warns Iran It Will Step Up Economic Pressure; Two More Ships Attacked in Hormuz
We Brought a Foreign Delegation to Israel; What They Saw Changed Minds
Al Jazeera Cut Its Gaza Staff; Does the Timing Tell a Story?
Who Were the Jewish Prophets, and Why Did They Disappear?
Selective Outrage: The WSJ Distorts the Reality of Christians in Israel









