Tuesday, October 17th | 27 Tishri 5778

Close

Be in the know!

Get our exclusive daily news briefing.

Subscribe
April 5, 2013 1:54 am

Israel Strikes Back After Palestinian Rocket Attacks

avatar by John Rossomando

Email a copy of "Israel Strikes Back After Palestinian Rocket Attacks" to a friend

An Israeli woman stands outside a damaged house hit by a rocked fired from the Gaza Strip that hit a house near the Israel-Gaza border, Friday, Nov. 16, 2012. Photo: Tsafrir Abayov/Flash90.

Palestinian terrorists have launched numerous rockets in to Israel since Tuesday, prompting the largest Israeli response since Egypt brokered the cease-fire between Hamas and Israel last November.

The latest salvo launched by a Salafist militant group calling itself the Mujahadeen Shura Council in the Environs of Jerusalem sent Israelis in Sderot and other towns near the Gaza border scrambling to get into bomb shelters. No injuries have been reported.

The group said the rocket attacks were in response to the death of a Palestinian prisoner detained by Israel who died of cancer on Tuesday while serving a life sentence.

Terrorists have sporadically fired rockets into Israel since the cease-fire including two during President Obama’s visit last month.

Related coverage

September 19, 2016 6:32 am
0

Israel Is High on Medical Marijuana

JNS.org - Google CEO Eric Schmidt believes Israeli entrepreneurs succeed because they challenge authority, question everything and don’t play by the rules. “The...

Gaza is home to several Salafist groups that share al-Qaida’s belief in a global jihad. They are believed to number anywhere from dozens to hundreds.

After retaliatory strikes were made Wednesday, Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Yaalon vowed that the Jewish state “will not allow shooting of any sort (even sporadic) towards our citizens and our forces,” adding that he holds Hamas responsible.

More rockets were fired into Israel early Thursday, the Associated Press reported.

The Israeli military deployed an Iron Dome anti-rocket battery in the Red Sea resort city of Eilat in response to the tensions. Eilat came under attack from rockets fired from the Egyptian-controlled Sinai last year.

Not surprisingly, a Hamas spokesman blamed Israel for the latest round of fighting in an interview with Reuters television.

Egypt, which brokered the November agreement, has demanded an explanation from Hamas about cease-fire violations. Hamas acknowledged its responsibility for letting the terrorists fire rockets into Israel and told the Egyptians it would take action to stop the attacks.

A Salafist source told Agence France Presse that Hamas had arrested two Islamists in connection with the rocket attacks. Hamas’s interior ministry, however, denied any arrests had been made.

“Our security apparatus is part of the resistance and does not arrest anyone who resists the occupation,” said Hamas Interior Ministry spokesman Islam Shahwan. “On the contrary, we encourage resistance.”

Nonetheless, the Salafist group urged Hamas to release the militants it says were detained.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com