Turkey Denies Report it Allowed Israel to Use Base for Syria Strike
Turkey has denied reports Monday that Israel used an air force base in the country to launch a targeted strike in Syria, Hurriyet Daily News reported.
Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu said that the claims were false and had no basis in reality.
“Turkey will neither be a part nor a partner of such ‘attacks.’ The ones who claim this want to damage Turkey’s power and reputation,” he said. “It is out of the question that Turkey and Israel are part of a joint military operation.”
An earlier report by the English-language state owned Russia Today website said that Israel had used a Turkish airbase to launch a strike July 5th on a Syrian weapons depot in Latakia.
“Our source is telling us that Israeli planes left a military base inside Turkey and approached Latakia from the sea to make sure that they stayed out of Syrian airspace so that they cannot become a legitimate target for the Syrian air force,” RT’s Paula Slier reported.
On Sunday, Britain’s Sunday Times reported the strike was carried out by an Israeli Dolphin class submarine which fired a cruise missile from the sea.
According to the newspaper, the target was a consignment of 50 Russian-made Yakhont P-800 anti-ship missiles delivered to President Bashar al-Assad’s armed forces this year.
On Saturday, CNN reported that Israel was behind last week’s strike in Latakia. According to the paper’s sources, the attack was carried out by IAF planes, and targeted Yakhont missiles.
Israeli officials have declined to comments on the claims, maintaining their silence on the entire episode.