Report: Israeli Police Source Says 6 Suspects Held for Slaying Arab Youth Had ‘Nationalistic’ Motives (VIDEO)
Partially lifting a media court gag order, the Israel Police said Sunday that they have arrested several suspects in the murder of an Arab youth in Jerusalem last week, citing “nationalistic” motives behind the slaying.
Israel’s Yediot Ahronot quoted a senior police official who told the Associated Press that a number of “Jewish extremists,” are suspects in the abduction and killing of 16-year-old Mohammed Abu Khdeir, last Wednesday in Jerusalem.
Three suspects are minors, and three are adults. They are being interrogated by the Shin Bet, according to the Walla News site.
One is from the greater Jerusalem area, one is from the south, and one is from the settlement of Adam, north of Jerusalem, according to Walla. However, other, unconfirmed reports suggest that several were released.
Police Spokesman Mickey Rosenfeld told The Algemeiner that a planned press conference to announce the details was cancelled, and that all of the suspects remain in custody.
“The suspects are being questioned at an ISA facility. All other details regarding the investigation are under a judicial gag order,” an Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet) statement to reporters read.
According to Palestinian media reports, a forensic examination by a Palestinian doctor suggested that Abu Khdeir was set ablaze while still alive, in a Jerusalem forest not far from where he was kidnapped in a vehicle in the Arab Shuafat neighborhood.
The death sparked off massive rioting in several of Jerusalem’s Arab neighborhoods, and dozens of stone and firebomb attacks against Jewish Israeli motorists and buses traveling through Israeli Arab areas, including Nazareth, the Highway 6 toll road, and the Wadi Ara area in the western Galilee.
Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas called on United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon to set up an international probe into the killing, which he called “terror crimes conducted against our people, including the burning alive of Muhammad Abu Khdeir.”
Watch a video below in which Abu Khdeir’s father responds to the latest news:
Watch a CCTV video in which two of the alleged suspects are seen at the site of the abduction: