Iran Reiterates Nuclear Red Lines: No Permanent Limits, No Extension of Deal, No Inspections of Military Sites
Iran on Tuesday rejected Western interpretations of the nuclear deal with world powers inked earlier this month, reiterating its opposition to the extension of the deal, any permanent limitations on its nuclear program, and inspections of non-nuclear military sites, Lebanon-based As-Safir reported.
According to the report, Iran ruled out any new or resumed nuclear related sanctions after the provisions of the deal negotiated in Vienna expire 10 years after implementation.
It also rejected inspections at non-nuclear military sites by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), declaring at the same time that it would open four new nuclear sites, two of which will become operational this year.
Earlier this week, Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif also said that Tehran’s continued production and use of ballistic missiles would not violate the nuclear agreement.
“Using the ballistic missiles doesn’t violate the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action” and Iran is not bound by any U.N. resolutions to restrict its ballistic missile program, Zarif said in response to questions by legislators in an open session of Iran’s parliament, the Majlis, on Tuesday.
“This paragraph [of the annex] speaks about missiles with nuclear warheads capability and since we don’t design any of our missiles for carrying nuclear weapons, therefore, this paragraph is not related to us at all,” he claimed.
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Aragchi reiterated the point on Wednesday, saying that the resolutions only ban missile production for carrying nuclear payloads. Since, he claimed, none of Iran’s missiles have been designed for nukes, the country’s entire missile program is out of bounds for the Security Council.