Friday, October 20th | 30 Tishri 5778

Close

Be in the know!

Get our exclusive daily news briefing.

Subscribe
August 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Poll: Majority of Jerusalem’s Arabs Would Prefer Israeli Citizenship Over Palestinian

avatar by David Daoud

Email a copy of "Poll: Majority of Jerusalem’s Arabs Would Prefer Israeli Citizenship Over Palestinian" to a friend
Most Jerusalemite Palestinians prefer becoming Israeli citizens over citizens of a future Palestinian State. PHOTO: Channel 2 News.

Most Jerusalemite Palestinians would prefer becoming Israeli citizens over citizens of a future Palestinian State. PHOTO: Channel 2 News.

Most Palestinian Arab residents of Jerusalem would prefer Israeli citizenship over citizenship in a future Palestinian state, according to a recent poll by the Palestinian Center for Public Opinion.

Fifty-two percent of those polled said they would prefer to have Israeli citizenship with equal rights to Israeli Jews, and only 42 percent said they would prefer to be citizens of a future Palestinian State, Israel’s Channel 2 reported.

Preference for Israeli citizenship rose significantly from the last poll on the subject, conducted five years ago, in which only one third said they would prefer to be Israelis.

In previous polls, the reasons given for preferring Israeli citizenship included better job opportunities and better health services and health care benefits. Of respondents, 47 percent said they would prefer to work in an Israeli workplace, even if it meant having to change their lifestyles.

Related coverage

October 19, 2017 7:40 pm
0

Senior UK Jewish Leader Criticizes British UN Diplomat Over Balfour Declaration Comments to UN Security Council

The top organization representing British Jews has lodged a complaint with the British government over remarks by the UK's Deputy Ambassador to...

By contrast, just 4 percent of Palestinians in the West Bank and 12 percent in the Gaza Strip said they were interested in Israeli citizenship.

The poll was conducted in June, and was based on opinions collected from 504 personal interviews. The survey claims a 4.5 percent margin of error.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner
  • Joseph Feld

    Israeli Arabs have more freedom and better human rights than Arabs living under Hamas and Fatah. Israeli Arab MKs have more free speech to criticise the Israeli govt than any Arabs in any Arab country. Years back most American Senators, including Senator Obama and Senator Hillary Clinton said officially Jerusalem should be the united capital of Israel, and the US Congress passed a law asking the President to move the US Embassy to Jerusalem. By the 1860 census Jerusalem had twice as many Jews as Muslims and was seen as a Jewish city. When Britain made pledges to set up states after WW1 Britain promised the Arabs the area of Damascus, Homa, Homs and Aleppo — leaving Palestine and Jerusalem as the area for the Jewish national home. 77% of Mandatory Palestine was then given to create the Palestinian Arab Kingdom of Jordan on the East Bank, leaving 23% for the Jewish national home on the West Bank between River Jordan and the Mediterranean Sea. For details see Sir Martin Gilbert, ‘Churchill and The Jews’ 2007.

  • shloime

    imagine how many would have chosen israeli citizenship, if the plo didn’t have a gun to their heads? if 50% are willing to say this openly, to a stranger, how many more are thinking it, but afraid of the consequences?

    israel’s greatest strategic mistake was to accept the (nonsensical) mantra that “the plo is the sole legitimate representative of the palestinian people”, and to let the plo occupy the disputed territories. now, it will be hard to prevent the establishment of fatahland and hamastan, terrorist states with exactly twice as many un votes as israel.

Algemeiner.com