Addameer — a New Israel Fund Partner — Seeks to Destroy the Jewish State
In February, Sahara Francis, director of the NGO Addameer, participated in a BDS convention in Britain that was part of Israeli Apartheid Week.
Addameer claims to be a “human rights organization,” but that hasn’t stopped many of its senior leaders from being active in the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine — an undisputed terror organization. Addameer also holds joint activities with a number of New Israel Fund organizations, and actively works to delegitimize Israel and the IDF.
Adi Cohen, an Israeli who impersonated a BDS activist and participated in the convention in Britain, related that Francis spewed lies and libelous accusations against Israel during this event.
According to Yediot Aharonot, Cohen reported: “[Francis’] lecture was a series of horror stories, most of which were lies. She said there were laws banning the publication of any book or article that opposed the occupation; described the arrest of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, most of whom were not terrorists at all, but rather academics, students, and writers. … She saved the worst atrocity for last. Even though she took pains to mention that there was no proof of what she was saying, she shared with her audience the growing suspicions that Israel is harvesting the internal organs from the corpses of Palestinians before returning them to their families.”
Addameer was founded in 1992. Both Addameer and several NIF-supported organizations receive funding from the Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law Secretariat, a Palestinian mechanism that transfers European funding donated by Denmark, Holland, Sweden, and Switzerland to Israeli and Palestinian human rights organizations.
The lists of the donations transferred by the Secretariat also include such grantees as B’Tselem, Adalah, Association for Civil Rights in Israel, Hamoked, Bimkom, Gisha, Kav LaOved Workers Hotline and Rabbis for Human Rights. All of these are anti-Israel groups that are supported by the NIF.
Here are some examples of Addameer activities that have harmed Israel:
- Addameer, Adalah, and several Palestinian organizations published an announcement in support of the Goldstone Report: “States must re-evaluate their relationship with Israel; normal relations cannot be conducted with States that have committed and continue to commit serious violations of international human rights and humanitarian law, including crimes against humanity. All States must exert real pressure on Israel to ensure its compliance with international law.”
- Addameer is a partner in lawfare against Israel, in conjunction with NIF organizations. Addameer is a member of the Legal Task Force, which seeks to use lawsuits to continue the “struggle against the occupation.” This task force includes the following NIF funded organizations: HaMoked, Public Committee against Torture in Israel, and Yesh Din.
- Addameer is one of the signatories of a letter calling on the European Union to exert pressure on Israel concerning security prisoners. The organization also accuses Israel of war crimes, collective punishment, etc. These accusations also appeared in Addameer’s testimony to the Goldstein Commission.
Here are some connections between Addameer and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) terror organization:
- Addameer Chairman Abdullatif Ghaith is a known member of the PFLP.
- Addameer Vice Chairman Khalida Jarrar is a senior member of the PFLP. Jarrar calls for all forms of resistance against Israel, including intifada and armed struggle.
- Ayman Nasser, a member of the organization’s research team, was arrested by Israel in October 2012 for his ties to the PFLP.
- Sumoud Saadat, Addameer’s documentation officer, is the daughter of PFLP chairman Ahmed Saadat.
- Suha Al Bargouthi, the treasurer at Addameer, is the wife of Ahmad Qatamesh, who is considered a PFLP member.
Despite all of this, the New Israel Fund continues to work with Addameer — and attract American Jewish donors.