Wednesday, March 22nd | 24 Adar 5777

Close

Be in the know!

Get our exclusive daily news briefing.

Subscribe
December 22, 2016 11:15 am

Missing Israeli Woman Confirmed Dead Among Victims of Berlin Attack

avatar by JNS.org

Email a copy of "Missing Israeli Woman Confirmed Dead Among Victims of Berlin Attack" to a friend
Dalia and Rami Elyakim. Photo: Facebook.

Dalia and Rami Elyakim. Photo: Facebook.

JNS.org – The body of Dalia Elyakim, 60, who was missing since the Berlin terror attack at the Christmas market earlier this week, was identified by Berlin police Wednesday.

German authorities said that Elyakim’s body was located Wednesday morning, but that DNA results to corroborate her identity would not be available until Sunday. However, the Israeli embassy intervened and expedited the results.

Elyakim’s husband, Rami, was also injured in the attack. He underwent surgery and is currently sedated but in stable condition.

Related coverage

March 22, 2017 4:49 pm
0

Algemeiner Editor-in-Chief: China Should Stay Out of Peacemaking, Focus on Business Ties With Israel

While Chinese President Xi Jinping called for a two-state solution “as soon as possible” during his meeting in Beijing this...

The Israeli Foreign Ministry said that the slow response by German authorities in finding Elyakim’s body was because they are “not as skilled in dealing with mass casualty events.”

“This attack shocked them, and they didn’t really know what to do with such a large number of casualties, many of them tourists and therefore harder to identify,” the Foreign Ministry said, adding that the Germans were not intentional in making the situation difficult for families in identifying their loved ones.

Israeli President Reuven Rivlin expressed his sadness over Elyakim’s death and prayed for a quick recovery of her husband.

“From here I send my sympathies and offer strength to her family who are by the bedside of her husband Rami, who was seriously injured in the attack, and we pray for his speedy recovery,” Rivlin said in a statement. “We will remain united and determined in the face of this murderous terror which strikes across the world, and we will fight relentlessly against extremism and hatred.”

German authorities believe a 24-year-old Tunisian asylum seeker, Anis Amri, who had been known to police for his links to Islamic radicalism and was set to be deported, carried out the terror attack that killed 12 and wounded 48 people. A Europe-wide manhunt is currently underway for the arrest of Amri.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com