Tuesday, March 9th | 25 Adar 5781

Subscribe
August 7, 2018 9:28 am

Daimler Abandons Iran Expansion Plans as Sanctions Bite

avatar by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

The Mercedes-Benz logo is seen before the company’s annual news conference in Stuttgart, Germany, Feb. 4, 2016. Photo: Reuters /Michaela Rehle / File.

German car and truck manufacturer Daimler on Tuesday said it has dropped plans to expand its Iran business in reaction to renewed US sanctions, which come into effect on Tuesday.

“We have ceased our already restricted activities in Iran in accordance with the applicable sanctions”, Daimler told Reuters in a statement.

In early 2016, Daimler established a joint venture with Iranian vehicle manufacturer and dealer Iran Khodro Co to make and distribute Mercedes-Benz trucks in the country.

Daimler had planned to open a representative office in Teheran. It the statement, Daimler states that as for now, neither its car-related nor truck-related activities in Iran had been resumed.

Related coverage

March 8, 2021 5:15 pm
0

Uproar in Indianapolis as Local Celebrity Chef Recycles Medieval Anti-Jewish Blood Libel in ‘Joke’ on Instagram

The owner of a popular Indianapolis eatery has stunned the local Jewish community with a post on social media that...

Daimler said it continues to monitor political developments carefully.

German daily Stuttgarter Zeitung was first to report Daimler’s retreat from Iran earlier on Tuesday.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.