Saturday, August 17th | 16 Av 5779

Subscribe
September 17, 2018 2:26 pm

Palestinian Ministry Rolls Back Statement That Gaza Boy Was Killed by Israeli Gunfire

avatar by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

Palestinians riot on the Israel-Gaza Strip border, August 3, 2018. Photo: Reuters / Ibraheem Abu Mustafa.

A medical source in the Palestinian Health Ministry backed away on Monday from an assertion that an 11-year-old boy killed at a protest on Friday on the Israel-Gaza Strip border had been shot by IDF soldiers.

“The boy died of a head injury,” said the source, who asked not be identified, declining to give specifics and stopping short of attributing the death to Israeli gunfire.

On Friday, Ashraf al-Qidra, spokesman for the Health Ministry in Hamas-ruled Gaza, claimed the youth, Shadi Abdel-Al, had been shot dead by Israeli troops.

Two other Palestinians were killed during the weekly protest by Israeli live fire, local medics said on Friday.

Related coverage

August 16, 2019 1:04 pm
0

Brother and Sister Seriously Injured in Car-Ramming Terror Attack in West Bank

Two Jewish siblings were seriously wounded when a Palestinian rammed his car into them at a bus stop in the...

An Israeli military spokeswoman, asked on Monday about the circumstances of the boy’s death and media reports that he had been killed by a stone thrown during the protest, referred Reuters to comments tweeted by the military’s Arabic-language spokesman.

The spokesman tweeted that there were “increasing indicators from Gaza that question the credibility” of the Palestinian Health Ministry’s original statement about the boy’s death.

“According to the indicators and testimonies, the boy was killed as a result of an injury from stones thrown during the violent riots,” the spokesman wrote.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.