Monday, March 25th | 18 Adar II 5779

Subscribe
January 14, 2019 8:32 am

Report: White House Asked for Options to Strike Iran Last Year

avatar by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

Email a copy of "Report: White House Asked for Options to Strike Iran Last Year" to a friend

Sunset is seen over the White House, in Washington, DC, Nov. 6, 2018. Photo: Reuters / Carlos Barria / File.

The White House’s national security team last fall asked the Pentagon to provide it with options for striking Iran after a group of militants aligned with Tehran fired mortars into an area in Baghdad that is home to the US embassy, a source familiar with the matter said on Sunday.

The source said that the Pentagon drew up options in response to the request, which was first reported by The Wall Street Journal and which originated from the White House National Security Council led by John Bolton.

Citing current and former US officials. The newspaper reported that the request sparked deep concern among Pentagon and State Department officials.

The Wall Street Journal also reported that it was not clear whether the options were provided to the White House, whether President Donald Trump knew of the request or whether serious plans for a US strike against Iran took shape at that time.

Related coverage

March 25, 2019 1:19 pm
0

At AIPAC Conference, Vice-President Pence Slams Democrats for Failing to Condemn, Combat Antisemitism

Speaking at pro-Israel lobby AIPAC’s annual Policy Conference in Washington, D.C. on Monday, Vice-President Mike Pence slammed the Democratic party...

The decision was prompted by three mortars being fired into a diplomatic quarter in Baghdad in September, the newspaper said. The shells landed in an open lot and no one was hurt. Two days later, unidentified militants fired three rockets that hit close to the US consulate in the southern city of Basra but caused no serious damage.

The State Department did not comment on the report. The Pentagon said it provides the president options for a variety of threats.

NSC spokesman Garrett Marquis, said the NSC does the same and it will continue to consider “the full range of options” after the attacks.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter Email This Article

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com