Wednesday, May 20th | 4 Sivan 5786

Subscribe
July 31, 2025 12:38 pm

Trump: ‘Fastest Way’ to End Gaza War Is for Hamas to Surrender, Release Hostages

×

Error: Contact form not found.

avatar by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

US President Donald Trump speaks at the White House in Washington, DC, US, June 12, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Evelyn Hockstein

US President Donald Trump issued a stern message to Hamas on Thursday, saying that the Palestinian terrorist group should “surrender” and release the 50 hostages it is still holding in order to end suffering in Gaza.

“The fastest way to end the Humanitarian Crises in Gaza is for Hamas to SURRENDER AND RELEASE THE HOSTAGES!!” Trump posted on his Truth Social platform.

The message came shortly after US special envoy Steve Witkoff arrived in Israel to meet Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in a bid to salvage Gaza truce talks and tackle a humanitarian crisis in the enclave.

Indirect ceasefire negotiations between Israel and Hamas in Doha ended in deadlock last week. Israel and the US both recalled their negotiators, with Witkoff saying that Hamas has not been acting in good faith and “clearly shows a lack of desire” to reach a deal.

“While the mediators have made a great effort, Hamas does not appear to be coordinated or acting in good faith,” Witkoff posted on X/Twitter at the time. “We will now consider alternative options to bring the hostages home and try to create a more stable environment for the people of Gaza. It is a shame that Hamas has acted in this selfish way. We are resolute in seeking an end to this conflict and a permanent peace in Gaza.”

Witkoff’s statement came as Israeli officials also confirmed pulling its negotiating team from Qatar for consultations, accusing Hamas of altering the terms of a potential ceasefire agreement just as talks appeared to be gaining momentum.

Gaps between Israel and Hamas continue to linger over issues including the extent of an Israeli military withdrawal.

Witkoff arrived with Israel facing mounting international pressure over the humanitarian situation in Gaza, which has been devastated after nearly 22 months of war.

Israel on Wednesday sent a response to Hamas’s latest amendments to a US proposal that would see a 60-day ceasefire and the release of some hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners, a source familiar with the details said.

There was no immediate comment from Hamas.

In recent days, photos and reports of starved and malnourished children in Gaza have reignited international pressure for a ceasefire and opening of supply routes. Meanwhile, UN agencies and NGOs warned that Gaza’s residents face severe food insecurity, and the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry claims that 156 people have died from malnutrition in the war-torn enclave.

The Israeli government has facilitated the entry of thousands of aid trucks into Gaza, with officials condemning international aid agencies for their alleged failure to distribute supplies, which have largely been stalled at border crossings.

On Sunday, Israel said it would halt military operations for 10 hours a day in parts of Gaza and designate secure routes for convoys delivering food and medicine.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said on Wednesday the United Nations and its partners had been able to bring more food into Gaza in the first two days of pauses, but the volume was “still far from enough.”

Israel’s Public Broadcaster Kan said Witkoff would also visit an aid distribution site in Gaza.

CALLS ON HAMAS TO DISARM

Hamas is still holding 50 hostages in Gaza, of whom around 20 are believed to be alive.

Netanyahu has said he will not end the war until Hamas no longer rules the enclave and lays down its arms. Hamas has rejected calls to disarm.

Qatar and Egypt, who are mediating the ceasefire efforts, backed a declaration on Tuesday by France and Saudi Arabia which outlined steps for a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The declaration says Hamas “must end its rule in Gaza and hand over its weapons to the Palestinian Authority.” Israel has ruled out the PA gaining control of Gaza. One reason why is that the PA, which has long been riddled with accusations of corruption, has also maintained for years a so-called “pay-for-slay” program, which rewards terrorists and their families for carrying out attacks against Israelis. Under the policy, the Palestinian Authority Martyr’s Fund makes official payments to Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails, the families of “martyrs” killed in attacks on Israelis, and injured Palestinian terrorists. Reports estimate that approximately 8 percent of the PA’s budget is allocated to paying stipends to convicted terrorists and their families.

Israel has denounced declarations by France, Britain, and Canada since last week that they may recognize a Palestinian state, which Israel says amounts to rewarding Hamas for its Oct. 7, 2023, assault on Israeli territory.

That attack, when Palestinian terrorists killed 1,200 people and took 251 hostages back to Gaza, started the war.

Trump told reporters on Tuesday that international efforts to recognize a Palestinian state in order to pressure Israel amounted to “rewarding” Hamas terrorists, adding, “I’m not about to do that.”

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul, embarking on a visit to Israel, said negotiations for a two-state solution must begin, while for Germany the recognition of a Palestinian state would come at the end of that process.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Email a copy of to a friend
This field is hidden when viewing the form
This field is hidden when viewing the form
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.