Eurovision Host Austria Backs Israel’s Participation, Aims to Stage Record Event
Error: Contact form not found.
by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

Director General of Austria’s ORF, the host broadcaster for the next Eurovision Song Contest, Roland Weissmann attends a news conference in Vienna, Austria, Nov. 18, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Leonhard Foeger
Austrian national broadcaster ORF, which will host next year’s Eurovision Song Contest, said it wants Israel to take part despite several countries’ objections and hopes it can host the biggest event in years despite boycott threats.
Eurovision, an annual feast of pop music and high camp from around Europe and as far afield as Australia, became embroiled in a dispute over the war in Gaza in 2025 and 2024 and was hit by street protests over Israel’s participation.
The national broadcasters of five countries – the Netherlands, Slovenia, Iceland, Ireland, and Spain – have called for Israel to be excluded from the contest over the number of civilians killed during Israel’s war against Hamas.
Those broadcasters have said they will boycott the 70th song contest in Vienna or consider not taking part if Israel does.
“Now is the time for diplomacy,” ORF Director General Roland Weissmann told a press conference when asked about talks ahead of next month’s annual meeting of the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), at which the issue will be discussed and potentially voted on.
The EBU is an alliance of public broadcasters that organizes and co-produces the annual event.
“We have used the time wisely, we have held diplomatic talks behind the scenes, and I am very, very optimistic that we will have a record number of participating broadcasters,” he added.
Austria and Germany are among Israel’s staunchest allies in the European Union, in part due to their historical atonement for the Nazi Holocaust. They hope a US-brokered ceasefire that took effect in Gaza on Oct. 10 will soften opposition to Israel taking part.
Hamas-led terrorists took 251 hostages during the Oct. 7, 2023, attacks on southern Israel and killed another 1,200 people, starting the war in Gaza.
Three countries’ broadcasters are likely to rejoin the song contest next year, organizers said: Romania, Bulgaria, and Moldova. They withdrew over costs. Canada has also been reportedly considering joining, which would make it the Americas’ first participant.
Asked if Canada should join, Weissmann said: “Hurrah, hurrah, Canada! Yes, of course. Everyone is welcome. We are happy to host the world.”
Michigan Rabbi Says He’ll Vote for Mike Rogers as Wolverine State Jews Fret Over El-Sayed
Netanyahu Calls Erdogan an ‘Antisemitic Dictator’ as Turkey Seeks International Arrest Warrant for Israeli PM
The Story You Didn’t Know Behind a Famous Oslo Photograph
What Parshat Ki Teitzei Asks Jewish People to Do Today
Turkey in Syria: Why Israel Fears Erdogan’s Growing Influence in Damascus
Suspect Arrested in Florida Antisemitic Attack Previously Accused of Slashing Giant FIFA Ball Display
West Ham Condemns ‘Anti-Palestine’ Chant Targeting Newest Member, Israeli Soccer Player Manor Solomon
Iran Says Regime Must Overcome ‘Unjust’ Economic Pressure as US Vows to Impose ‘Toughest Sanctions in History’
Democratic Socialists of America Accuses Marco Rubio of ‘Genocide’ in Pro-Castro Screed









