Egypt Says Gaza Reconstruction Plan Ready, Pushes Efforts for Ceasefire’s Second Phase
Error: Contact form not found.
by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

Egypt’s Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty attends a joint press conference with Palestinian Prime Minister Mohammad Mustafa in Cairo, Egypt March 1, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Mohamed Abd El Ghany
Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty said on Sunday that Egypt’s Gaza reconstruction plan, which ensures Palestinians remain in their land, is ready and will be presented at an emergency Arab summit in Cairo on Tuesday.
Arab states, which were swift to reject President Donald Trump’s plan for the US to take control of Gaza and resettle Palestinians, are scrambling to agree on a diplomatic offensive to counter the idea.
Trump’s plan, announced on February 4 amid a fragile ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, appeared to back away from longstanding US Middle East policy focused on a two-state solution and sparked anger among Palestinians and Arab nations.
Abdelatty said Egypt would seek international backing and funding for the plan and emphasized Europe’s crucial role, particularly in the financing of Gaza’s reconstruction.
“We will hold intensive talks with major donor countries once the plan is adopted at the upcoming Arab Summit,” he said in a press conference with the EU Commissioner for the Mediterranean, Dubravka Suica.
Israel on Sunday blocked the entry of aid trucks into Gaza as a standoff over the truce that has halted fighting for the past six weeks escalated. Abdelatty said the use of aid as a weapon of collective punishment could not be permitted.
The first phase of the fragile ceasefire agreement expired this weekend. Abdelatty reaffirmed Egypt’s commitment to the originally agreed ceasefire that had been scheduled to move into a second phase. “It will be difficult, but with goodwill and political determination, it can be achieved,” he said.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said earlier that it had adopted a US proposal for a temporary ceasefire in Gaza for the Ramadan and Passover periods.
Abdelatty said after Tuesday’s summit, foreign ministers of member states of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation would hold an urgent meeting in Saudi Arabia to discuss how to present the plans.
“We will ensure that the results of the Arab summit are presented to the world in the best possible way,” he said.
Gabbard Resigns as Trump’s Top US Intelligence Official
Iran’s Intensified Closure of Strait of Hormuz Piles Misery on Stranded Sailors
US House Republicans Cancel Iran War Powers Vote
Report: Qatari Negotiating Team in Iran to Help Secure Deal to End War
Freed Gaza Flotilla Activists Allege Israeli Abuse Including Rape
Anti-Israel Boycott Fight at Brooklyn Food Co-Op Sparks Allegations of Antisemitic Discrimination
European Parliament Slams Iran Over Surge in Executions, Brutal Repression
Leading Demography Expert Says Israel Expected to Hit 50% of Global Jewish Population as Early as 2035
Germany Charges Two Iran-Backed Operatives Over Plot to Kill Jewish Leaders
Irish PM Seeks EU-Israel Trade Review After Gaza Flotilla ‘Abduction,’ President Says She’s ‘Proud’ of Sister Aboard





Freed Gaza Flotilla Activists Allege Israeli Abuse Including Rape
Report: Qatari Negotiating Team in Iran to Help Secure Deal to End War
Gabbard Resigns as Trump’s Top US Intelligence Official
US House Republicans Cancel Iran War Powers Vote
Iran’s Intensified Closure of Strait of Hormuz Piles Misery on Stranded Sailors



