US Jewish Centers: ‘We Are Well Prepared’ to Handle Spate of Bomb Threats
JNS.org — Jewish community centers (JCCs) across America said they were “well prepared” to handle the spate of bomb threats that hit 27 locations Wednesday, the second such wave nationwide in as many weeks.
Centers in 17 states received threatening phone calls, and swiftly engaged in security protocols, according to the JCC Association of North America umbrella organization.
On January 9, sixteen other JCCs had received similar threats, requiring evacuations and police intervention up and down the east coast.
David Posner, director of strategic performance for the JCC Association, said in a statement, “Many JCC leaders took part in a webinar organized quickly by the JCC Association [following last week’s events], featuring officials from SCN (the Secure Community Network) and the Department of Homeland Security to address concerns and procedures. Lessons learned and best practices discussed were clearly on display this morning, and we applaud our JCCs for responding calmly and efficiently.”
“While the bombs in question are hoaxes, the calls are not,” Posner said, adding that the organization is “concerned about the antisemitism behind these threats.”
“We know that law enforcement at both the local and national level are continuing to investigate the ongoing situation. We are relieved that no one has been harmed and that JCCs continue to operate in a way that puts the safety of their staff, visitors and premises first,” he said.
According to the Anti-Defamation League (ADL), none of the threats have been credible.
The locations targeted Jan. 18 included: Alabama, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas, reported the ADL.