US Names Three Killed in Syria Blast Claimed by Islamic State
Error: Contact form not found.
by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

US and Turkish soldiers conduct the first-ever combined joint patrol outside Manbij, Syria, Nov. 1, 2018. Photo: Courtesy of Arnada Jones/ US Army / Handout via Reuters.
The United States on Friday identified three Americans killed in a suicide attack in northern Syria this week that the US government said was likely carried out by the Islamic State militant group.
Army Chief Warrant Officer Jonathan Farmer, 37, of Boynton Beach, Florida; Navy Chief Cryptologic Technician Shannon Kent, 35, identified as being from upstate New York, and Scott Wirtz, a civilian Department of Defense employee from St. Louis, died during the Wednesday attack in Manbij, Syria, the Department of Defense said in a statement.
The Pentagon did not identify the fourth person killed, a contractor working for a private company.
The Manbij attack on US forces in Syria appeared to be the deadliest since they deployed on the ground there in 2015. It took place in a town controlled by a militia allied with US-backed Kurdish forces.
Two US government sources told Reuters on Thursday that the United States views the Islamic State militant group as likely responsible for the attack. Islamic State has claimed responsibility.
The attack occurred nearly a month after President Donald Trump confounded his own national security team with a surprise decision on Dec. 19 to withdraw all 2,000 U.S. troops from Syria, declaring Islamic State had been defeated there.
If Islamic State carried out the attack, that would undercut assertions, including by US Vice President Mike Pence several hours after the blast on Wednesday, that the militant group has been defeated.
Experts do not believe Islamic State has been beaten despite its having lost almost all of the territory it held in 2014 and 2015 after seizing parts of Syria and Iraq and declaring a “caliphate.”
While the group’s footprint has shrunk, experts say it is far from a spent force and can still conduct guerilla-style attacks. An Islamic State statement on Wednesday said a Syrian suicide bomber had detonated his explosive vest in Manbij.
Israeli High Schooler Wins Gold but Gets Disqualified Over National Flag at Computer Science Olympiad in Uzbekistan
Israeli Jewish Births Surge in 2026, Defying Fertility Slump Across Wealthy World
DSA Chicago Chapter Sparks Outrage Over Anti-Israel Questionnaire for Political Endorsements
Struggling Hezbollah Diverts Cash From Lebanese Civilians to Rebuild Terror Arsenal
Jews Targeted in Two-Thirds of All Religion-Based Hate Crimes in US, FBI Data Finds
Trump Says No Talks Planned With Iran, Tehran Says Strait of Hormuz Still Shut
Israeli Airstrikes Hit Syrian Airbase, Drawing Turkish Condemnation
Venue Admits Discrimination Against Jewish Comedian at Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Scotland
Jewish American-Israeli Amar’e Stoudemire Inducted Into Basketball Hall of Fame
Rob Schneider Calls Out Hollywood ‘Ignorance,’ ‘Selective Outrage’ Regarding Hamas’s Oct. 7 Attack





DSA Chicago Chapter Sparks Outrage Over Anti-Israel Questionnaire for Political Endorsements
Rob Schneider Calls Out Hollywood ‘Ignorance,’ ‘Selective Outrage’ Regarding Hamas’s Oct. 7 Attack
Venue Admits Discrimination Against Jewish Comedian at Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Scotland
Struggling Hezbollah Diverts Cash From Lebanese Civilians to Rebuild Terror Arsenal
Jews Targeted in Two-Thirds of All Religion-Based Hate Crimes in US, FBI Data Finds



