Wednesday, June 19th | 16 Sivan 5779

Subscribe
March 13, 2019 8:16 am

Israel Says Hezbollah Suspect in US Troop Deaths Now Active on Golan

avatar by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

A US solider shows a picture of Ali Mussa Daqduq (L) during a news conference in Baghdad, July 2, 2007. Photo: Reuters / Wathiq Khuzaie / Pool / File.

Israel on Wednesday accused a suspected Lebanese Hezbollah operative who was previously held in Iraq over the killing of five US military personnel of now setting up a Syrian guerrilla network for cross-border attacks on Israeli targets.

The accusations against Ali Mussa Daqduq came as Israel seeks US recognition of its claim of sovereignty over parts of the Golan Heights, a strategic plateau on the Syrian frontier, which it captured in a 1967 war and deems a key security buffer.

With Syrian President Bashar al-Assad reasserting control after an eight-year insurgency, Israel has also been lobbying his big-power backer Russia to keep Hezbollah and Damascus’ other Iranian-aligned reinforcements away from the Syrian-held parts of Golan.

Israel‘s acting foreign minister was quoted as saying such US recognition would be “an appropriate” response to what he said was increased Hezbollah activity on the Golan.

Related coverage

June 19, 2019 9:38 am
0

UN Expert: Evidence Suggests Saudi Crown Prince is Liable for Khashoggi Murder

Evidence suggests Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohamed bin Salman and other senior Saudi officials are liable for the murder of...

In statements based on what it described as previously classified intelligence, the Israeli military said Hezbollah had mobilized “a few operatives, Syrians” as part of a new “terror network on the Syrian Golan Heights aimed at striking Israel.”

The military said it believed Daqduq to be the network’s mastermind.

Iraqi detention

Daqduq was released from detention in 2012 in Iraq, where he had been accused by the United States of orchestrating a 2007 kidnapping that resulted in the killing of five US military personnel.

The United States had handed Daqduq over to Baghdad in 2011 after failing to secure a custody deal ahead of the US military’s withdrawal from Iraq. Washington said it had received Baghdad’s assurances Daqduq would be prosecuted, but he was later cleared by an Iraqi court and repatriated to Lebanon.

There was no immediate response to Israel‘s allegations on Wednesday from Hezbollah, Syria or the US and Russian embassies in Israel.

U.S. diplomats have said they are in talks with Israel about its request to recognize its sovereignty on the Golan, a status that has yet to win any formal endorsement among world powers.

Israel‘s Mako news site quoted acting Foreign Minister Yisrael Katz of saying that such recognition by the United States would be “an appropriate and required response” to the allegations about Hezbollah’s activity on the Syrian Golan.

“I hope that this will soon happen, during the prime minister’s upcoming visit to Washington,” Katz was quoted as saying. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is due to address the pro-Israel lobby group AIPAC in the US capital in late March.

In the past, Russia has spoken in favor of other foreign forces leaving Syria, though it plans to keep a garrison there.

Israel has carried out scores of air strikes against suspected Iranian targets on Syrian Golan and further into the country, and threatened to continue such operations as required.

Share this Story: Share On Facebook Share On Twitter

Let your voice be heard!

Join the Algemeiner

Algemeiner.com

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.