Tunnel Crossing Between Israel and Lebanon Went 22 Stories Deep
Error: Contact form not found.
by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

The inside of a cross-border tunnel which Israel said was dug from Lebanon into Israel, is seen during a media tour organized by the IDF near Zar’it in northern Israel, June 3, 2019. Photo: Reuters / Gil Eliyahu.
The Israeli army on Monday showed the inside of a sophisticated tunnel passing deep underground from Lebanon into northern Israel, saying it was intended for use by Lebanese Hezbollah militants.
The tunnel was rigged with electrical wiring, fuse boxes and communications equipment. An army spokesman said it began almost a kilometer away inside Lebanon and reached depths of some 80 meters (265 feet) — about the height of a 22-story building — as it crossed into Israel, near the town of Zar’it.
It came to light earlier this year during an army operation in which a number of attack tunnels dug by Iran-backed Shi’ite Hezbollah were discovered and sealed off, the military said.
Hezbollah’s leader, in response to Israel’s tunnel operation, said in January that his group has been able to enter Israel for years. But he stopped short of acknowledging that the tunnels were the handiwork of Hezbollah, citing the heavily-armed group’s policy of “ambiguity” on military matters and a desire to deny Israel a pretext to attack.
Israel and Hezbollah last fought a war in 2006. While they have at times traded blows within Syria and the Golan Heights area, the Israel-Lebanon border has mostly been quiet.
Israel regards Iran as its biggest foe and Hezbollah as the main threat on its borders. It has waged an increasingly open campaign of military strikes against them both in Syria, where they have fought on the government side in the civil war.
Bahrain Court jails nine for life for collaborating with Iran’s Revolutionary Guards
Protesters in Spain Condemn Police Handling of Gaza Flotilla Activists
Possible Deal on Iran Divides US Lawmakers Largely Along Party Lines
IDF Chief Signals Readiness for Intensified Fighting Along Northern Front
Netanyahu Told Trump Israel Will Remain Free to Act Against Threats, Israeli Source Says
Trump Posts AI-Generated Image of American Strike on Iranian Vessel
Trump Says No Rush for Iran Deal, US Blockade Stays
14 Nations Condemn Somaliland’s Planned Embassy in Jerusalem, Calling it ‘Illegal and Unacceptable’
Iran’s Top Negotiator Says Tehran Will Not Compromise in Talks with US
Trump Says Negotiators Are Getting Closer to Iran Deal, Media Interviews Show





14 Nations Condemn Somaliland’s Planned Embassy in Jerusalem, Calling it ‘Illegal and Unacceptable’
Trump Says No Rush for Iran Deal, US Blockade Stays
Netanyahu Told Trump Israel Will Remain Free to Act Against Threats, Israeli Source Says
Trump Posts AI-Generated Image of American Strike on Iranian Vessel
IDF Chief Signals Readiness for Intensified Fighting Along Northern Front



