Child Care Center Torched in Latest Antisemitic Attack in Australia
Error: Contact form not found.
by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese speaks during a press conference at the Parliament House in Canberra, Australia, June 17, 2024. Photo: Lukas Coch/Pool via REUTERS
A child care center in Sydney was set alight early morning on Tuesday and antisemitic graffiti was sprayed on the wall, authorities said, the latest in a spate of attacks in Australia targeting the Jewish community.
The childcare center, located near a Jewish school and synagogue in the city’s east, suffered extensive damage but there were no reports of injuries in the attack which occurred around 1 am (1400 GMT, Monday), police said.
It was the second antisemitic attack on property in four days in Sydney, and comes amid a spate of similar crimes targeting the Jewish community in Australia‘s most-populous city.
New South Wales state Premier Chris Minns said the perpetrators would be caught and police had put more resources into investigating hate crimes, as public frustration grows over the lack of arrests following previous antisemitic attacks.
“The kind of people who would … attack a fellow Australian whom they don’t know because of their race or religion, it is completely disgusting and these bastards will be rounded up by the police,” Minns said during a media briefing.
Australia has seen a steep rise in antisemitic incidents since the Palestinian terrorist group Hamas started the Gaza war with its invasion of and massacre across southern Israel on Oct. 7, 2023. At least half a dozen incidents were reported in the last two months in Sydney alone.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese described the latest attack as “a vicious crime.”
Albanese is facing a national election due by May and antisemitism is shaping as a key issue, with the opposition criticizing him as “weak” for not doing enough to prevent hate crimes against Jews.
In response to the spate of attacks, the Australian federal police has launched a task force to investigate threats and violence against the Jewish community.
A 44-year-old man was charged last week, the first by the task force, for allegedly making death threats against members of a Jewish organization.
Trump Says ‘Good Chance’ of Iran Nuclear Deal After Delaying Strike
Jewish Man Brutally Attacked in London After Speaking Hebrew
Iran’s Executions More Than Double in 2025, Making Up 80% of Global Total, New Data Shows
Cornell University Clears President of Wrongdoing After Incident With Anti-Israel Protesters
Netanyahu Applauds Eurovision Runner-Up Noam Bettan: ‘Everyone Is Very Proud of You’
Harry Styles Responds ‘Correct’ to Fan Shouting ‘Long Live Palestine’ at Amsterdam Concert
Israel Warns of Escalating Terror Threat in West Bank as Iran, Turkey, Hamas Seek to Stoke Extremism
‘Beyond Ironic’: Mamdani’s ‘Nakba’ Video Features Non-Arab Woman Critics Say Has European Roots
Pakistan Sends New Iranian Peace Proposal to US
Gaza Flotilla Says Israeli Forces Intercepted 39 Boats, Remaining Ships Continuing





Hezbollah Is Using the ‘Ceasefire’ to Produce More Drones for War Against Israel
Despite Rule Changes, Israel Proved the Haters Wrong at Eurovision
Even After a Terrorist Attack and Royal Commission, Australia Doesn’t Take Antisemitism Seriously
‘Beyond Ironic’: Mamdani’s ‘Nakba’ Video Features Non-Arab Woman Critics Say Has European Roots
Recognizing Shabbat Is Not Establishing a Religion



