New Israeli Military Chief Assumes Command With Gaza Ceasefire in the Balance
Error: Contact form not found.
by Reuters and Algemeiner Staff

The new Chief of the General Staff, Major General Eyal Zamir, visits the Western Wall, Judaism’s holiest prayer site, in Jerusalem’s Old City, March 5, 2025. Photo: REUTERS/Ronen Zvulun
Israel swore in a new commander of its military on Wednesday as a standoff over the fragile ceasefire in Gaza increased the risk of a resumption of fighting without an agreement to bring home the rest of the hostages still held by Hamas.
Eyal Zamir, a former tank commander who had retired after 28 years with the rank of Major General before being called back into service, was promoted to Lieutenant General, before formally assuming command from General Herzi Halevi, who stepped down over the security disaster of Oct. 7, 2023.
“The mission is not yet complete,” he said in an address as he assumed command, saying that Hamas had not yet been defeated.
“We will not forgive, we will not forget. This is an existential war. We will persist in our campaign to bring our hostages home and to defeat our enemies,” he said. Fighting in Gaza has been halted since January under a truce brokered by Qatar and Egypt and supported by the United States that has allowed the exchange of 33 Israeli hostages and 5 Thais for around 2,000 Palestinian prisoners and detainees.
A related war in southern Lebanon, which broke out after Iranian-backed Hezbollah forces launched missile strikes against Israel after the Oct. 7 attack, has also been silenced by a separate ceasefire agreement.
But Israeli ministers and officials have warned that their forces could resume fighting if there is no agreement on bringing back the 59 hostages that remain.
Israeli troops have pulled back from some of their positions in Gaza but talks that were intended to agree to the release of the hostages and the full withdrawal of Israeli forces before an end to the war have not begun.
Israel has called for an extension of the truce until after the Jewish Passover holiday in April to allow the release of the remaining hostages, while Hamas has insisted on proceeding to talks on a permanent end to the war before agreeing to any further releases.
COMMISSION OF INQUIRY
Zamir’s appointment comes as a series of official inquiries have begun to examine the failures that allowed thousands of Hamas-led terrorists to storm Israeli communities around the Gaza Strip, killing 1,200 people and seizing 251 hostages in one of the biggest military and security disasters in Israel’s history.
Halevi led the military during the Israeli campaign in Gaza aimed at freeing the hostages and dismantling Hamas’s military and governing capabilities.
But he announced in January, soon after the Gaza ceasefire deal was agreed, that he would step down from his command, accepting responsibility for the military‘s patchy and uncoordinated response to the Oct. 7 attack.
On Wednesday, as he handed over his command, he called for a wider examination of the failures on Oct. 7, 2023.
“The establishment of a state commission of inquiry is necessary and essential – not to place blame, but first and foremost, to understand the root of the problems and allow for correction,” he said.
Both the Israel Defense Forces and the Shin Bet security agency have acknowledged that their failures allowed the attack to take place, but Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has so far resisted a more general inquiry that would look at the responsibility of his government.
DSA Chicago Chapter Sparks Outrage Over Anti-Israel Questionnaire for Political Endorsements
Struggling Hezbollah Diverts Cash From Lebanese Civilians to Rebuild Terror Arsenal
Jews Targeted in Two-Thirds of All Religion-Based Hate Crimes in US, FBI Data Finds
Trump Says No Talks Planned With Iran, Tehran Says Strait of Hormuz Still Shut
Israeli Airstrikes Hit Syrian Airbase, Drawing Turkish Condemnation
Venue Admits Discrimination Against Jewish Comedian at Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Scotland
Jewish American-Israeli Amar’e Stoudemire Inducted Into Basketball Hall of Fame
Rob Schneider Calls Out Hollywood ‘Ignorance,’ ‘Selective Outrage’ Regarding Hamas’s Oct. 7 Attack
What a Redeemed Hostage and Grieving Parents Taught Me About Going Back to Campus
Disclaimers Cannot Excuse Politicians Who Court Extremists





Rob Schneider Calls Out Hollywood ‘Ignorance,’ ‘Selective Outrage’ Regarding Hamas’s Oct. 7 Attack
Hezbollah Attacked Israel — but the World Keeps Painting Israel as the Aggressor
What a Redeemed Hostage and Grieving Parents Taught Me About Going Back to Campus
Is It Misinformation or Disinformation When NPR Refuses to Fact-Check the UN?
Venue Admits Discrimination Against Jewish Comedian at Edinburgh Festival Fringe in Scotland



